Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Tree Scum Removal "Victory"

MPH

Seems the birch trees up here have the same habit as Boxelders in Nebr. did when I lived there, leave anything sit under them and a black scum coatting covers the item in time. Cleanning up my 42 inch blower tonight and the rust on the inside turned out too be the easy part, the black scum just smears with the wire wheel. Tried solvent while I was cleanning off the grease around the chain, did nothing, dish soap did nothing with a scrub pad, any great success stories???? Also decided to remove the pulley to chain shaft so I could get good paint behind the pulley as I used heat to get out some bad dents back there, AND, I found yet anouther reason why it turned stiff, the outter bearing in the tube is frooze up, hope SLI has those. If not, guess I could salvage one outta a 3 belt I have, but I hate to install used 40 year old bearings. Good thing I have a working 36 inch too use, better yet, good thing I was too burnt out the last 4 sundays I had home too get the 42 mounted up as was. Seems every thing I score I wind up with every bolt removed before I use it. Guess that's what makes this fun. Dug back in the 'puter photos and found one loaded on the trailer of what this 42 inch blower looked like when I got it.

Here's what oven cleaner does for tree scum

Sprayed it down, talked to my son for about an hour, then went out and brushed it with a toilet cleaning brush (new) then rinced it with hot water. Thanks for the ideas what to use, but on sunday, only store open is the grocery store. The paint free areas is where the wire brush removed the rust and some paint.

Marty Bug and tar remover seams to work good on the tree sap here also a product called "goo gone". You should be able to find it in a good parts store or hardware store. The bearings on both ends of the auger are the same on both the 36" and 42" blowers I always keep a spare because just like belts they don't go bad during business hours, only on nights and weekends.

It wasn't the augar bearing I found last night Maynard, it was the drive shave roller bearing inside the siver tube. I'll look for some goo gone but will certainly give WD40 a try, forgot about that majic spray can last night, use it on jobs where metal door have stickers on them that must be removed for painting. Thanks guys

Marty, with this stuff being a natural product, I think this is why your haveing trouble fiding something to soften it up. As it dries up you should be able to scrap it off. To help speed this along you might try blasting it with a small tourch. This won't help the paint either but if your going to repaint it anyway this should cook it crisp so a wire whel could knock it off.

That housing comes complete or you can just get the bearings

Item# 7 Part# 154248 2 BEARING, Needle Item# 8 Part# 1651064 1 BEARING & HOUSING ASSY. (36" only) Item# 8 Part# 1650355 1 BEARING & HOUSING ASSY. (42" only)

Thanks for the info again Maynard and thankyou for the offer Reed, but I have new bearings on the way from SLI. Hate putting used bearings in if I can find new ones, esp for 4 bucks each.

I use scrubbing bubbles and that works great on light oil film but do not use if you plan to paint it as it leaves a slight film on it.

There is this wonderfull thing I use all anround the house and now Elon uses it to clean different things on the tractors, it's called Majic Erease Sponge. It's by Mr. Clean there are no chemicals but it seem to work wonders. Melanie (Elon's Wife)

quote:
Originally posted by mhertzfeld
There is this wonderfull thing I use all anround the house and now Elon uses it to clean different things on the tractors, it's called Majic Erease Sponge. It's by Mr. Clean there are no chemicals but it seem to work wonders. Melanie (Elon's Wife)
Man were letting anyone join this club!}:) Elon