Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Buying a new garden tractor

Daz

My old sovereign 3012 does a good job as a tiller but it came with no mower deck or pto to mount one- and after a good search down under I have been unable to locate the parts to make one So I have decided to purchase a new garden tractor and was after some general advice I a have seen the kubota mini tractors which have a slasher and a tiller and also john deere GT; GX and X series garden tractors which also have a mower deck + tiller - and was after some sound advice about how to select a new garden tractor – what to look for and peoples general feelings in relation to make and model Any suggestions appreciated thanks Daz

Are there any AGCO or Simplicity dealers in Australia? The Legacy is a good model. Maybe you could keep your Simplicity for tilling and buy something else just to mow with.

If you are going to use it for more than mowing ,meaning rear pto buy something 20 hp or more .That way you have enough power to where the motor dont work to hard.If you can get a Simplicity Legacy or Legacy XL spend the money and you will be happy.You should be able to get a a Massy or Agco in your part of the country.They are made by isezi .Pretty good tractors with front end loaders and rear pto .Get on Agco or Massy website and ,get on dealer locator to find a dealer near you.If no luck, go with the Kubota 22 or 23 hp models.You can get 54 or 60 inch decks on about any of the above.Hope this helps.They all make good tractors,it all boils down to what you can get in your area and how much you want to spend.I love my AGCO 2027 diesel/Simplicity XL with loader,& 60 inch deck with 4x4.Dont know if you can get them in your country though.

I would stay away from the JD X series they are of cheaper build, neighbor had one and every time he bumped something he brought it to me to straighten it out. GOT TIRED OF THAT.