Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Hydro Oil Change

Terry_Hart

According to my manual you can also use Type F automatic transmission fluid - that is what I use as it is available at my local Autozone store.

When I got my 917H it was sluggish and slow. I changed the filter and oil and that made a world of difference. I have had alot of tractors go thru here and the biggest problems is that most of them have the original oil in them and it is low. It just seems as if people don`t realize that a little preventive maintenance goes along way. My 917H more than likely had the orignal filter and oil in it.

When you change the filter do not use a cheap filter like Fram, mighty, etc. they will cause problem.. They do not have the correct micron rating or flow rate. Use an OEM filter or a Quality name brand filter that crosses directly with the OEM number like Wix, Napa, Baldwin. This has been proven out many times by the members here.

I got the filter from the dealer. It has a Siplicity number on it. Does it smooth the engagement of the Hydro, when changing directions of travel?

Right above the axle tube on the left hand side of the tractor there is a street elbow sticking out the side of the gear case. pull up on it.