Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

AC Starting Issue

Tractor720

Good afternoon all! I thought someone else may have some expreience with a starting issue I am having. I thought it was a battery issue but that is not the case. Could be a starter or starter switch gone bad. Sometimes when the key is turned to start it, nothing happens escept dash lights. After trying a couple times it will eventually turn over and then start. Almost seems like a poor connection where the new battery has enough current to jump across the bad connection and start it. not sure how often the starters go bad, but it looks like the engine has to comeout to get the starter burried under it on the right side. Any help would be so greatly appreciated. Thanks to all for such a cool web site. I look forward to being an active member.

Clean all connections on both ends of the Positive and negative cables as well as connections on solenoid. You could also have corrosion in side of the cables. A high resistance connection can cause the symptoms you describe. Then check and clean connections to starter switch.

Maybe a safety switch? Either way,take Maynards advice,and make sure the cables and connections are clean. Maybe have the battery load tested.

Welcome TJ. You didn't mention what tractor your working on but judgeing by your post name I'm gueseing a 720 with a CCKB onan. If thats the case then I'd recomend a search on "Onan's". There are several articles on the starting issues related to these tractors. Worn key switches, old bad corroded safty interlock problems resulting in low voltage going to the starter solinoid. Al Eden has a few extensive posts on the topic. So I won't go into repeating the info. As was mentioned above by Maynard, start w/ the ovious easy stuff and work your way in.

Test - I feel your pain. I went through the same headache with my Pmax and did all of the obvious stuff mentioned above (recommended) but still suffered through the intermittent starter problems until installing Al Eden's Uni-Kit.

Al's Information will always be on the mark,and if it is not he will talk to you on the phone til you get it resolved. He is a GOOD man.