Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Al Eden's Uni-Kit

After cleaning all of the battery connections, running a separate ground wire and replacing the starter I still had problems with intermittent starting. Even when the engine did turn over it seemed weak. That is, until I installed Al Eden's Uni-Kit. The difference made is amazing. Now the tractor starts with every turn of the key and the starter motor seems to have a lot more power. Everything needed for my Pmax was included and only took about 15 minutes to install.

Als a real good guy and stands behind his work. What's better than that? Not much. You buy something, it works. WOW, what a concept.

quote:
Originally posted by D-17_Dave
Als a real good guy and stands behind his work. What's better than that? Not much. You buy something, it works. WOW, what a concept.
I agree. He even offered to step me through the installation. The help wasn't needed because of the clear instructions but I really appreciated the offer.

I have installed two of these kits on kt to magnum conversions and I must say that Al sells one he** of kit that even an Engineer can understand. Hats off to Al. Tim

quote:
Originally posted by Beeser
After cleaning all of the battery connections, running a separate ground wire and replacing the starter I still had problems with intermittent starting. Even when the engine did turn over it seemed weak. That is, until I installed Al Eden's Uni-Kit. The difference made is amazing. Now the tractor starts with every turn of the key and the starter motor seems to have a lot more power. Everything needed for my Pmax was included and only took about 15 minutes to install.
What the Uni-Kit for? Ya got a link to reference? Thanks. Tacey

It adds an extra soliniod to the starter circut giveing the actual starter soliniod full voltage. This allows the magnetic solinoid to fully engage so the starter acts correctly. On some systems after aged contacts and corroded interlock switchs you loose partial voltage at the starter. You can have a good 12 volts going into the key switch but loose voltage anywhere in the wireing and safety switches. The kit allows you to keep all the current wireing intact but adds this extra solinoid elliminateing the low voltage problem. I'm tired, I hope I made sence. I should have mentioned you see this mainly on the powermax's w/ an onan. It's not an onan problem. It's just due to the age and load characteristics of this style starter on this style tractor. I've seen simular problems on older ag equipment w/ weak or poorly designed wireing and use this same fix.