Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

opinions42 inch thrower

Simpleton7016

Happy Thanksgiving all, I will be purchasing one of two throwers (1690032) this Thanksgiving weekend for my 1975 Sovereign 7016. Here is the question: One links to a front clutch (included in sale) and the other links to my existing cone clutch off the left hand side of the tractor. Which system is preferrable? I assume that the one operating off of a front clutch is easier to hook up and possible more powerful as a result of the shorter belt distance....but then again, that is a novice assumption. But it looks like I would have to remove the grill. Is this the case? However, the one operating off of my existing clutch might be easier to install since I do not have to do the added work of installing the front clutch. Are they a "horse apiece" or is one system clearly or overwhelmingly superior to the other? Is either tougher than the other on the engine? Will one have more throwing power than the other? Once I install the clutch, can I leave it on year round, or do I have to remove it each season? Any experiences? Opinions welcome. Tough decision for me. :) Thanks in advance, Erik

Erik i personaly don't think either one is better/worse. I have a 68/69 sovereign and a 2000ish mod year sovereign the old one uses the front pulley and the new one uses the mid mount pulley, and i dont honestly notice any difference in using either blower. Just make sure that if you get a blower that the pulley(s) drive and driven are properly matched refrence:[url][/url]http://simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=56104 john

The idler setup on a Simplicity 7016 is not correct for using the cone clutch to drive a snowblower. You will need to use the front clutch on your 7016. The correct hitch for the front mount clutch will have two pulleys.

The blower set up with the front clutch is the correct one for your application. The front clutch that you need is the one that mounts on the front of the engine. Not the clutch setup that is part of the hitch. The blower is the correct blower for your tractor. The correct hitch is the two pulley hitch with spring tightener on one pulley. Go to this site and insert the MFG# 1690032 and download both the operators and parts manuals for this blower. They will show you what you need. [url]http://www.simplicitytechpubs.com/techpubsearch.php#start[/url] This is the clutch and hitch you need

Erik, I agree with Maynard - get the front clutch driven blower. Your cone clutch setup is missing the a second tab for snow blower use. Another option for the front clutch driven blower is to install an electric clutch rather than the mechanical one. It's an option if you have trouble with the mechanical clutch included in your purchase.

Can the idler pulley bracket that hangs below the bevel gear box be swapped with one from a newer 7100 series type tractor than use the hitch for the 7100 types and run the belt back to the cone clutch on the bevel gear box?

One of the idlers mounts on the left side frame plate on the 7100 series. It would take, at least, swapping frame plates. There also might be an alignment issue due to the different lengths of the chassis.

Wow, lots of snowblower questions out here. I have a 716H with a blower driven off the center PTO. As mentioned above, you need to deal with realigning the backside idler because there is no second tab to move it to like on the 7100 series. I just bent a flat piece of steel with holes drilled in it to better align the pulley with the belt path. If I had the choice that you have, I would get the front PTO setup - that way no having to deal with realigning the backside idler, and chasing down the right 139" belt. If the blower comes with a belt it is probably the 147" one for a normal 7100 series hookup. The grill should stay in place. The front PTO can be left on year round. I suppose the front PTO will place a small thrust on the main engine bearings while disengaged, and the bearing inside will be spinning too. I leave mine engaged all the time when nothing is hooked to it - that way no thrust on the crank and the PTO bearing is not spinning. The crank will have a side load when the belt is installed and tight too. I suppose a center PTO hookup is going to put more load on your Bevel Gear Box. 6 of one, 1/2 dozen other. All this just my opinion.

Thanks everyone! I think I will go with the front clutch since it can be left on year rond. I was not aware of that, so it makes more sense I guess. PS, (mainly for UCD) when I first found this site, I was going through the threads and found the link you provided. I spent the better part of the day downloading and printing parts manuals, operators manuals and repair manuals. What a great resourse the site and all of you are! Thanks!