Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

What a shame, NOT FOR SALE

mark64

I loacted a real nice find the other day while hooking up a electric service to a guy's new house.I spied the tractor from up in the bucket truck and I thought it was a Simplicity 725, but it turned out to be a Wards Squire. The tractor was sitting next to a old fallen down garage and looks to have been there for awhile. I asked the owner if it was for sale and he said no, someday he was going to restore it. His yard looks like a junk yard and I am sure he will never get it done. Worst part is the attachments for it, a 10"plow, disc, 1 row cultivator, spring tooth harrow, gang reel mower, deck, tiller, 2 sets of wheel weights, and front counter weight all thrown into a heap next to the tractor. Somebody had quite a setup for the tractor in it's day, what a shame to just let it rust away.

I would go back and give him your phone number, and let him know what you would spend on it. He just mite give you a call. Elon

I've had both situations. I've had calls and struck deals after I heard NO and I've been turned down cold knowing the tractor or other piece of equipment, would just sit there and rot down before something good happened to it. It's teribly dissapointing seeing something left out like that knowing you or someone else would/could do so much more with it. If I can I try to find something the potential seller might be interested in and try to make a trade. They may want to keep that tractor untill I give them an alternative of something more desirable. Odd as this may sound, it's worked more than once. Don't give up on it. Just give it some time.

What a shame. I like both of the ideas above. Sometimes you can talk to the owner and, in a very polite way, let him know that it looks like it's been sitting there for a long while and that the chances of him getting around to his planned restoration are very slim. Leave your number and let it perculate for a while. Some of us who like to accumulate piles of junk will jump on an opportunity to trade for someone's elses junk. Junk begets junk.

With those situations you got to offer enough money to make them think, at least enough to stick in theback of their mind. Bargain prices will not work most of the time in these cases. You have to offer what the thing is worth . If you are planning on using the item thats OK, but if its for resale, its best to just walk away.... I had a guy come to me wanting to know what this attachment was in the back of his truck that he had picked up for free. It was a 38" Homelite revitalizer. Basiclly unused. I had been looking for one for a while and after he said he was going to cut the hitch up and put it on a John Deere I offered close to $200 for it. I would have offered more, but thats all I had in the tractor fund at the time. He left still intent on hacking it up, but two weeks went by and he showed back up ready to take the offer.

I never gave the trade idea any thought. This guy has a whole yard and pasture full of old cars, farm implements, ect. I may have to see what I can come up with that he may be able to use more than the garden tractor. Thanks for the ideas.

Hi Mark I am also a lineman and have worked all over and seen many tractors sitting out going to ruin yet of course their not for sale.Its such a shame to let these workhorses of yesterday just rot away

Go there with some cash in your pocket.Most times,when you can show a wad of dollars,they know you're serious,and many times will deal.

I saw an old simp 700 sitting and I went and talked with a neighbor and got the guys phone # (the property was abandoned). I called the guy and he told me that it was his nephews tractor and he has not seen his nephew for a long time. Long story short, I got a call from the uncle about 4-6 months later and he said "stop by and pick it up, its yours" I asked how much and he said nothing. I think the guy will give in if you are patient. Good luck, John H

Well, I think it's fine to make an offer, leave a phone number or stop back again, but, I try not to judge too harshly the individual that wants to hold on to something for future restoration. It's great to have dreams. I have lots of them!