Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

carburator 18hp vanguard twin

dadstoy

Took motor off model 1692788 and put on a 5216. I'm trying to find out what the electrial connection is for comming from the bottom of the carb? Thanks for the help.

quote:
Originally posted by plastikosmd
dunno, maybe anti-backfire solenoid? scott
Thats correct. It needs 12V supplied to it when the key is in the "on" position to open and let the fuel go through. I have got several MTD tractors for junk because the engines wouldnt run and abad solenoid like this was the problem.

Sam, Right on, but there also must be a source to them when cranking. Many switches, the acc terminal has no voltage in start mode. Kohler puts 2 diodes in the wiring harness to feed this solenoid in start mode. Adding a wire and a new compatible switch will do it also. Be sure the cable to the new switch gets repinned to match the switch. BE VERY CAREFUL WHEN DOING THIS THAT YOU DON'T ACCIDENTALY PUT 12 VOLTS ON THE ENGINE KILL LINE OR YOU WILL NEED 2 NEW IGNITION COILS. I would not connect the kill wire until I had the unit running and would then check it with a meter before I ever connected it. This should be the LAST check made then you can connect it. I don't recommend this, but in most cases one can just cut the plunger off and then it doesn't need voltage. Al Eden