Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Winter Storage......

wantedinct

I'm lookin for some opinions on outside tractor storage, i need some more room in the garage, so the 2010 is going outside for the winter, its going to be on gravel under a deck,my question is do i cover it with a tarp or not? wont a tarp cause (and hold in) condensation?

I would think that if it's under a deck, the sun wont really get to the trap. I belive the problem with traps is the sun heating the mosture under the tarp. I get that in my tent. but it only becomes a problem when it gets warm, I.E. heater or sun. Seeing it's going to be on gravle and under a deck, I wouldn't worrie about it. Cover it up and visit it a few time over the winter. "dont want it to get lonly out there by it's self!" lol Elon

I stored a boat under my deck with a tarp. The only problem was that the tarp wasn't secured tightly and you'd be surprised how much rain drips through the deck and eventually collapsed the tarp into the boat and the water froze in there. Like Elon says keep an eye on it so it doesn't get too lonely, cause thats when I run into problems when I forget it and think I'm all set. Usually doesn't work out for me. By the way Eric the 725 runs great and the snow thrower is all hooked up to it Elon. Dave

quote:
Originally posted by therocket
I stored a boat under my deck with a tarp. The only problem was that the tarp wasn't secured tightly and you'd be surprised how much rain drips through the deck and eventually collapsed the tarp into the boat and the water froze in there. Like Elon says keep an eye on it so it doesn't get too lonely, cause thats when I run into problems when I forget it and think I'm all set. Usually doesn't work out for me. By the way Eric the 725 runs great and the snow thrower is all hooked up to it Elon. Dave
Glad to hear it! Ya just have ta remind me about the lift rod, I'll forget about it by winters end. Oh by the way, you'll learn that the members of this club, LOVE PICTURES!!!!! Elon

If you've only have on nice tractor to park definitely use a good canvas cover. I have 28 machines scattered about under 24 plastic covers. They are only $7 from Harbor Freight and until I hit the powerball they will stay plastic. Over the winter I try to keep the runners up on the cement on the carport or porch. In the past I have had problems with the moisture under the covers on some runners parked in the yard causing things like carb linkages sticking and electrical connections corroding. Even new paint jobs rusting thru. I dont know how or why but the temperature changes make the plastic do weird things. If you are going to use plastic, fold one corner over a front wheel or poke a few holes in the upper side to let some air in.

I've got about 6 under tarp right now,2 runners,and 4 maybe's.The tarp doesn't seem to affect them one way or the other. But it does keep leaves and such off them. My 2110 was under a tarp for about a year.Pulled it out,new battery,and it took right off.

I tied rope between two of the posts of the deck and draped the tarp over it and tied down the corners like a tent, but with air circulation at the ends and sides. It protects from sun, rain and snow but lets it breathe. Also works between two trees for boats, tractors, trucks, lumber etc. Better to put the tractor on gravel or a pallet or better still, lift it up and support it well.

It would still be better if you could find a sturdy pallet and store on top of that. Cover the tractor but let the air flow under and through the pallet.

If you are going to use plastic over it, put plastic under it. This will act as a vapor barrier to keep moisture from coming up from the ground, then condensing on the inside of the tarp. I might be right with this theory, or I might be all wet...

Tom D, I think you are "right on". A vapor barrier beneath the tractor and cover plastic prevents ground moisture from coming up and condensing inside the top/cover plastic. My 2 cents,

I put this together for outside storage. I have one end closed and the other open. It keeps the cover off the machine and lets the air in.

Yes it is nice. I'd definitely think of securing it to the ground well though. After you put a tarp on that, you have a airplane wing/sail. There are big warnings by "Cover-It" regarding their structures... I can image if you don't secure it that in a big storm, you'll find it in the neighbors yard. I like it too, so John-RI let us know how you made it... looks good.

I like the idea too, I am glad that you shared that, hopefully you will tell how you didi it because I really need something like that. Thanks Benjamin

Thanks for the compliments. I needed to get a tractor out of the garage and didn’t want to leave it unprotected or put a cover on it so I came up with this solution. I had ideas of trying to package and sell it as a kit but, well, I never got to it. I started by taking some measurements of the tractor and then sketched some designs and went from there. I can’t seem to find any of my original drawings but in the next day or so I could take some measurements if folks are interested. It’s basically a 2” x 4” base (2 sides & 1 end) drilled to accept the ¾” dia electrical conduit bows and covered with a plastic tarp. You’re right about it blowing away. I tie it to the tractor so that I can tip it forward out of the way for access to the tractor for driving in or out, etc. I made the mistake of designing it to what I thought would fit the tractor and as a result I spent a lot of time sewing the tarp to make it fit. Another time I would size it to fit at least one dimension of a stock tarp.

2-10'x20' enclosed canopy garages end to end, and its still not enough! Even with some stacking of the little stuff.

We built shelters like John's with 3/4 conduit for temporary welder shelters in Delta this past fall. We used Mule tape, ( a nylon strap electricians use to pull wire, the 2500 lb stuff is about like the strapping in the cheapo ratchet straps ) to secure them to 3x3x3 concrete "deadman" blocks. They would take about 30mph winds before becoming a mess of shredded reinforced plastic. I think on Johns if you just staked it too the ground you'd be in pretty good shape. Maybe a diagonal from the peak out at about 45 degrees each way kind of like staking a tent.