Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

7016H hydro slips?

goatfarmer

I finally got the 7016H I bought about 3 months ago going.It had thrown the driveshaft,and had locked up steering. The tractor goes well in reverse,but barely moves in forward. Fluid level was OK,didn't see any belt slippage,all linkage looked OK,not bent or missing.I don't know the history of this tractor,but it would appear that it's been sitting quite a while,maybe a year or more. I'm going to change the filter to see if it helps,anything else I should look for? Maybe something internal stuck fom sitting? TIA8D

since it is slower forward then in reverse it just may need adjusted. New oil and a filter probably wouldn`t hurt anything though. I just put a Napa filter on mine yesterday the filter number is 1068.

It barely moves in forward,even with the lever all the way forward. But it backs right up.I'll try the NAPA filter and fluid change,see what happens.

lubricate the linkages especially the elbow shaped one. A little wd40 should do it. I had it happen to me this summer. Make sure there is no dirt or grime.

I'll have to check the freewheeling valves,I had them down when I bought it,maybe one or the other is stuck. Mine has the same trans as the picture,Sundstrand,I believe.

Kenny, When I first assembled my 716H, it wouldn't budge in either direction. I removed the freewheeling valves, and used a small nail to drive the ball check valves upward to the working position. It works great. I have not depressed the valves since then. Don't want to press my luck. Those valves are expensive if you have to replace them. By-the-way, why not try switching the locations of the two valves, and see if it goes good forward instead of backward. While you have them out, you could try some type of small rod and a hammer to seat them into the working position.

No I do not think they will spring up by themselves . Are the stems up or depressed? if they are up. then it is not the valves. With the tractor not running, it is easy to unscrew them and hit pin with punch. I used a side cutter pliers and brought mine up. Then I sanded rust off, they still would not come up by themselves.

You may want to go under the tractor a check the hydro lever to make sure the arm on the lever is bolted on is properly, Mine was loose and not in the notchon the lever and caused my forward speed to be slower than reverse. Then do all the adjustment talked about.

Ya know,you guys are the best!:D I went out last night and gave it the once over,and saw that the front freewheeling valve was stuck down. Unscrewed it,and using Rod's advice,stuck it in a vice,and tapped it back into place,with a small hammer,and an aluminum rivet. Works like any 30 year old hydro should!Thanks,everyone,the cold ones are on me!!!^

Hi, When you have this problem and for example if the bypass problem wasn't obvious, you can just screw both of the valves out and swap them. If the situation reverses, you have it nailed down. Just be sure everything is clean around them. Just thought I would mention this. Al Eden

Kenny, Glad we could help you! I had one of those valves that stuck open. I fired it up, pushed the lever forward and the tractor didn't move. Got off, lifted the fenders and started checking things out. Tapped the valve with a wrench, and the tractor nearly ran over me. I had forgotten to move the lever back to neutral. When I tapped on the valve, it came loose and the pressure closed it. Tractor ran over my foot and tried to climb my leg before I could get out of the way. Almost a serious accident. Hope nobody else makes the same stupid mistake that I did. You learn quickly from those mistakes. That is why I "now" understand how those valves work.

• 2 weeks later...