Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Simplicity 700 progress w/pics

Chris727

Hi guys, I know how you like pics so this post is loaded. I have recently got my Simplicity 700 put back together. I got it around the 4th of July but didn't really have time to work on it until this fall. Here are links to the 2 previous discussions. http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=50586&SearchTerms=700 http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=50657 When I got it home and started to go trough it I found lots of problems. The front axle was broken and had to be replaced. The rear pivot point on the wishbone is only 1/2 o.d. on the 700's and apparently didn't last.

I happened to have a spare but it had the 3/4 o.d. pivot point used on newer tractors.

So the L-Brackets were removed and painted. The rear one got a larger hold drilled to accomodate the axle.

I had to remove the engine because it was a mess with nests in the shrouds and it was covered with grease. I cleaned the engine and put the following parts on it: New head gasket New base gasket New carburetor body gasket and intake gaskets New muffler and pipe. The tractor needed a few other things too: Throttle cable, Rewired to Battery ignition with 12 volt coil. Front wheel bushings were missing so I put a good used set in it. Driveshaft was converted to flex discs because the old 1 piece coupler was bad, causing a wobble. The generator was the wrong one and needed bearings so I painted and installed a good one. Here it is after I first fired it up after reassembly.

No more wobble

I also installed a newly painted rear lift.

Here is a pic of it ready to go to work

The engine smokes a little blue smoke when you start it up but it clears up after its warmed up. It still needs a lot of work to get it looking good. I will probably repaint it and rebuild the engine eventually. I found a parts machine with a good grill and side emblem. I hope to pick it up Saturday.

Looks good, My Simp 700 is in worse shape. The cylinder is chewed up bad. I do have a replacement and a newer front axle, but have not had time to get er done. JH