Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Ag tires

Ronald Hribar

I know this topic has been approached before. Rusty Bore has two 26x12x12 lug tires for sale a 4ply Carlisle tire for $65 and a 6 ply Carlisle/Titan/True Power tire for $79. I think a 4 ply is better suited to my use and pocket book. But lugs on 6 ply seem more aggressive. Primary use will be for snow removal on concrete. I'd prefere not to use chains and Roto tilling. Mowing would use turf treads. Any opinions?

Not a clue but to add to you question, what is the ply rating for pulling? I would think that 2 ply with 8 pounds in it would most likely break a bead sooner than a 4 ply with 8 pounds in it. Any thoughts? Elon

Hi Ron, check this place out I have several sets of tires from them and haven`t found anybody yet that can beat their prices. http://www.tiresunlimited.com/default.htm

Elon, You don't have to worry about a bead coming loose with a 12 inch wheel and 8 pounds of air. At one time I was running Wooly Booger ATV tires on 8 inch wheels on a motorcycle engine powered tractor 50+ Hp. My rear tires would be flat the next day, because the wheels were turning inside the tires. Still, they did not go flat during the pull. I never ran over 9 psi in my tires, even with 75+ Hp under the hood. Never needed to screw the tires to the rims either. I did install tubes and screw the tires to the rims on those 8 inch wheels that I mentioned above. 2 ply tires are definitely the best for pulling. You want soft sidewalls and hard rubber compound in the lugs. Pressure is related to the weight of the tractor. The heavier the tractor is (with driver), the more pressure you should run. Also, the wider the rims are, the more pressure you can run. For instance, I ran 9 psi with a 12 inch wide rim and a 12 inch tire, in an 1100 lb class. If you only had an 8 inch wide rim, you would probably need to drop the pressure to 5 or 6 psi to get maximum traction with the same tire. It has to do with getting the tire to bite evenly all the way across the tread. On hard tracks, I ran more air to make the tire rounder with less contact area so it would sink in more. On softer tracks I stayed at 9 psi because the tires bit all the way across at that pressure. Remember that with a motorcycle engine turning 10,000+ rpm, the tires were spinning at 30 - 40 mph, once the clutch has been released. Tires become the critical element with those type of wheel speeds.