Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

twin engine simplicity

johnmonkey

Here is a link to a neat site that I found. Its called rough and tumble. I am not sure how to hot link it, but I hope it works. A few pictures down there is a picture of a boy that won first in class on his simp.JH http://www.roughandtumble.org/rt-albums/rt-2005_stm/435rt_2005_stmup_2x_268.asp#Photo[url][/url][url][/url]

Some nice tractors. The 1st engine on that Landlord would serve no purpose other than looks. Since the tractor is shaft drive it has to be driven from the rear engine. I guess it would give extra HP for front mounted implements.

did you see this one Tim Koser begins his first ever pull on the Koser's Simplicity, finishing first in class http://www.roughandtumble.org/rt-albums/rt-2005_stm/460rt_2005_stmup_2x_283.asp#Photo

Chris I think you would couple crank shafts together similiar to what they used to do in early multiply engines in drag racing. And to this day in large tractor pulls. Would give you 32 hp and and nice putt putt sound when lugged down if coupled correctly

The organization that has the sight, also has quite a set-up at their grounds. They preserve old equipment, steam engines, ag equip, they havea seperate building just for fixed engines. A building just for scale models etc. They run a couple of events a year, usually one of them is a specialty or feature show. A couple of years ago it was Allis. It is definately a good place to stop if your travels take you to Lancaster County, PA during one of their event weekends. GregB

I like the fact that the twin engine tractor has both intakes coupled together with a single downdraft carb. Interesting set-up.

Joe, That is what I said in the post just before yours. I would think that, in order to run that type of manifold, the engines would have to be synchronized with one engine on intake stroke while the other is on the power stroke to make the intake manifold function properly. I would have stayed with individual carbs, even though synchronization can be a problem. A single carb makes the throttle setup much simpler and eliminates synchronization problems. Long log type manifolds can also hurt power if not designed properly. I once designed a manifold and put a Ford two-barrel carb on a 4 cylinder 750 cc Suzuki motorcycle engine. Since I designed the manifold and reworked the carb, myself, I was only able to get that engine to turn 14,000 rpm under load. LOL I would also have coupled the engines with a soft coupler, like a flexplate, to prevent vibration from one engine from being transmitted to the other. This can cause crankshaft failure in multi-engine setups. Don't know how this guy has them set up. From the looks of the spacing between engines, he has probably used a coupler of this type.

Speaking of the strange,I picked up a trader paper in Central Illinois yesterday,and saw the following ad: Riding Lawn Mower,500cc motorcycle engine,hydrostat transmission,$750.00. Anyone ever try anything like that?

I was surfing the web for garden tractor stuff last week and came across a sight with motorcycle engine powered garden tractors i didn't save the sight. they use them to pull with like the guy with the twin engine simplicity above

Kenny, A 500cc bike engine will make nearly 50 Hp. Most hydro trannys will not withstand that much input power. Also the hydro pumps will not take much more than 3600 rpm. The bike engines will turn 9000 or more. I doubt that you could anywhere near the power capability of the bike engine with a hydro tranny. Steve, Were those motorcycle tractors anything like these? These are some guys I used to pull with. http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=51560

with a sledge hammer, sawzall, welder and torch anything can fit in anything.:) However as someone once told me "just because you can doesn't always mean you should":D

:IUmmmmmm, sorry Rod, I think my tongue got ba twixed me eye teeth and your post and I missed it............;):D ;)Just think, 2 Kohler's running off one Holley 4 barrel........

hmmm...more plans are in the works(v8). And may have solved the geo rotation problem for the rear-set the bgb gear on the other side.

• 2 weeks later...
quote:
Originally posted by goatfarmer
Jay (AC808) has plans for a VW powered large frame. Use a 40HP or so.....
Thats right, I do...If I can acquire a 6sp version..Im also toying with the idea of a 3cyl Yanmar diesel in one..hopefully more details to follow this summer...

I do have some right angle gear boxes around here that would work great.They are good for 40 hp and will not break.They do fit between the frames.Bob

That sure is on bad --- looking old landlord. Really like his rear fenders. If I made something like that I'd have to build a 3 bottom plow for it.:)

That is one neat looking tractor.The old boy sure knows what he is doing.That would be neat to see a 2 BT plow behind it working under load.