Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

D/A 1916 trans

cwm1276

I am watching this tractor (link below). Anyone have an idea how difficult to fix or replace the tranny. It is real close and if goes cheap enough maybe it could turn a few dollars with a repaired tranny. This would be my second tractor and my first in trying to repair and sell. http://cgi.ebay.com/Simplicity-Deutz-Allis-16-V-Sigma-riding-mower_W0QQitemZ7728671870QQcategoryZ66761QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Never had one apart. As to taking them out, its no worse than any other Simplicity. Too bad the sellers snowblower wasnt a 42". Its close enough I'd be biddig on that for me.

Sam if that blower was 42" I would be all over it. I got the 36" thinking it would fit between the 2 cars in my garage attached to the house. I still could not make it fit, so I might as well have the larger blower. I do think someone could buy all 3 reasonable and repair the tranny and make a little money since you could sell the 3 together.

I got the 36 on my Conquest because thats the only blower I ran across last winter. Previous year I found, bought and sold several 42" blowers. Now that I have been looking for one since last year, cant find any.

HI, This tractor has an Eaton 850 transaxle. No complete units are available, and they all must be fixed with piece parts. Depends what is wrong.They have 1 pump and a separate motor on each axle. If the pump is bad, usually the cam ring is bad. Can also be true of the motors. These units use a pump and motors that have 5 balls in them instead of regular pistons. The only seal is the circumference of the balls in the holes. The balls are matched to the holes at the factory to clearances in 10ths of thousands of an inch. If you disassemble one and let the balls fall out of the holes and they get mixed up, you have to buy a new pump. Even if you buy a new pump,IT IS CRITICAL THAT YOU DO NOT LET THE BALLS GET MIXED OR IT ITS JUNK. We use a rubber band about an inch wide and 4 in in dia to slip over the balls before we remove the assy. Then if we decide to remove the balls we use an egg carton and mark the pump housing. We were told in service school about mixing the balls. The same for each motor. Some times the cam ring cracks. It is the race that moves back and forth that the balls run against and it changes the output flow from the pump for fwd and rev. They are $250 to $300. The pump assy that mates with it is in the $225 to $275 range. Also there planetary gears in each side to gear the motor down to the axle. If these are torn up and get in the case, the metal shavings could destroy the pump and both motors. One would really need to know how the transmission failed and what the symptoms are. They are not cheap transmissions to fix and wors case one could get to maybe 2000.00 in it. The other problem is there are very few used ones around. Because they cost more new than many of the other transmission brands, they were rarely used. The early LTH have this transmission also for about a year or so. I have one in an LTH that is weak after warm and I would hope I can fix it with a pump. If it were me I wouldn't get into this tractor deeper than I could part it out. Then if the transmission fix is cheap you win. If not, pull the engine and sell it and at least you won't lose. I would think there might better project tractors. If this were a 700. 900 AC or 7100, 7000, Simp. I have used rear ends and hydros I would sell that would be less than a pump and cam ring in this unit, and there are soooo many more of these trannys out there. My thoughts on this, they are free, so value accordingly, Good luck, Al Eden

Thanks Al, I think the current owner might have had the same thoughts I do, since they say it broke last winter, and just selling it now and offering to ship just the engine.