Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Headlights

Terry_Hart

I would like to have brighter headlights on my AC 716. I am thinking of adding supplemental lights under the existing ones. Anyone else have this issue and what did you do?

There was a post where the bigger better lights were put behind the grille. Everything looked original

Before you go to the expense and work to add new lights why not try to make the ones you have brighter. Run a fused 12 ga. wire from the battery post to a point near the lights. feed the lights from this circuit through a relay. Use the original lighting power supply to trigger the relay. Than run a 12 ga. ground wire from the lights to the bolt that your battery ground cable hooks to. I would tell you to use 14 ga. wire in place of the 12 ga. except that there is so much cheep wire being sold that is on the very low end of the spec. for the grade. If this does not make the lights bright enough for you. you have not wasted anything. You will need to add the heavy wire and relay if you buy lights that draw more current. MHO

Hey Terry Hella makes a light that repaces the old 4011 sealed beam it looks the same but it has a replacable halagen H2 bulb These lights are very white and bright not the dim yellow look you have now I'll get back to you soon with a part # Paul Sticklor B-112

Paul, The 4011 bulb will fit a 7116 Simp(916 AC), but not a 716 AC. The early 716s had four headlight bulbs that were mounted in pods of two each, which bolted to each side of the grille section. The later model 716 had two rectangular headlights mounted in the grille. These lights used a bayonette type bulb, similar to a backup light bulb.

Terry, I have a 716H and a 713S, both have those type headlights. If the lens of the headlights have turned yellow, you can soak them in chlorine bleach and it will make them mostly clear again. One of mine had original bulbs that were flat on the side away from the connections. The other had backup light bulbs from a car. Neither were very bright. I thought of replacing the lights with rectangular driving lights from an automobile. I haven't done that yet. About the only thing that I use the lights for is seeing to put them in the hut after dark, since I don't have electricity in there.