Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Troubleshooting my 7016H snowthrower

Simpleton7016

I just bought a used 42 inch snowthrower for my 1975 Simplicity Sovereign 7016H (#1690032). I have downloaded the troubleshooting manuals and have a problem not listed. I have installed the front clutch and am confident that it has been done correctly. I bought a new belt, greased the fittings, lubricated the appropriate areas installed the rod guide, attached new springs for the idler pulley and adjusted the clutch and. I fire up the tractor (NEVER a problem there), but when I engage the engine, it almost seems like the clutch is slipping because it is not turning over the auger. The belts are not slipping and engine is clearly laboring. But it doesn't seem to have the power to turn it over I purchased a brand new clutch brake assembly (#171947). That did not solve the problem. The only thing I can think of is to purchase and new clutch plate and or sheave, but those will probably cost me more than I paid for the thrower and clutch combined! Any suggestions? Actually, what would really help me out is if someone could share with me how hard it should be to turn the auger by hand. It does not rotate real easy by hand, but it does rotate. Does not appear to be bent. I am tempted to start the engine, engage the auger, and give it a little "helping hand" if you know what I mean, but I do not want to lose my arm in the process. :) It just seems like it wants to go, but can not make the first turn. What do I do? Thanks in advance, Erik

Erik, there is a guy at church who is missing a fingertip when he tried to clear a snow jam out of his blower - I think I would try a stick or something :> But like Maynard says, the blower should really spin over easy - maybe the bearings or the roller chain is all rusty/jammed up?

Erik, I'd take the chain off (so the drive sprocket/shaft and driven sprocket/auger are free to turn). Check the auger - as Maynard stated, it should spin very easily - a push with your foot should rotate it many times. If not, bad auger bearing or bent auger (the auger should not rub anything). If the auger is OK, then the problem must be in the shaft connecting the belt driven pulley and the chain driver sprocket. Maybe rusty inside the tube. Never had that apart, but I suspect you would take the belt pulley off and pull the shaft out from the chain end. Let us know what you find.

I agree. The auger should turn freely. If the engine is turning it but very labored, you have something like a bearing or debris chokeing it down.

I currently have a 42 inch blower torn down. First plan was to straighten the scrapper bar, when removeing the augar to do some needed welding on the housing I found a froze up bearing, ahh, that's why it's stiff. Then when removing the drive shaft to paint behind the pulley where I used heat to help hammer out some damage found a frozen bearing in the tube. They both run on bearings and should turn free, if you force the augar you will be turning the shaft inside the bearing and the set screws will cut into the shaft, better tear it down and check it out. Sandy Lake has the bearings. Mine arrived while was gone for Thanksgiving, if you need the parts # will post 'em after I open the boxes.

Go to Fleet/Farm just down the way from you and buy a 5inch pulley with a 1 inch bore. Take your clutch off and install new pulley on motor. Your snow blower mount has Spring loaded pulley that assists you with putting belt on. Use this to take tension off belt. Start tractor. Then engage the spring loaded pulley and I think you will hear where your problem is. I may be in your area this afternoon. Give me a call on my cell phone ,I may be able to stop by for a few minutes. 262-370-4626

Thanks for the offer Ron. Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner, but I think you are absolutely correct. I posted a message on a similar thread and I think that my clutch is too worn and not grabbing - just as you suspect. I did take the belt off and play with the clutch by hand (with the motor running) and it does, in fact engage....just not strong enough to handle the extra load. I ordered a new cone clutch from Bills Power Center up on Capital Drive, and it should arrive by mid-week. I will try installing it again when it arrives. If that doesn't fix the problem, then I will have no choice then but to blame my own incompetence! :) In which case, I may give you a jingle. :) Unfortunately, I had to actually go out and shovel this morning. I shouldn't complain too much though as my driveway is not that big and the tractor and snowblower is clearly overkill. But at this point, I am obsessed. Thanks again for the offer and I will update by mid-week. Erik

Woo hoo! The new clutch came in! I installed it and the snowblower is turning no problem. Now all I need is some snow....wait, it's coming down now. Tonight should be a blessed night and I can't wait to blast my neighbors dog with some snow! In all seriousness though, thanks to everyone for their opinions and advice. As is usually the case, it turned out to be the simplest of problems, but the hastle's allowed me to bond a little more with my tractor. A special thanks to Ron for you offer of help and to Lloyd who walked me through a few things over the phone. I appreciate everything and will get some pictures posted soon....just need a snow cab now! Erik

Just so you do not make same mistake that I did last weekend( No not falling off ladder!!) Make sure blower is turning right direction. I exchanged tractors-hitches-snowblowers with son-in-law. I got frantic call that "this blower was not working at all". I knew tractor was good, knew snowblower had been tweeked. So that left hitch that we exchanged. Hitch itself was good, just that I did not install belt correctly. Told him to check belt so that impeller brings snow in the bottom. He reversed belt and was extremely pleased. I gained some more respect for him also.