Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Smoking 725

Boney

If this is a silly question I apoligize now. Is there somthing I can do to help reduce the smoking of my 725 without tearing into the motor? Thnx herm

Depends on what color the smoke is. I am assuming that the smoke is something other then black. If it has been gradually getting worse, the answer is most likely that it needs to come apart for rings and a valve grind minimun. Also take off the air baffle on the side opposite the exhaust and see if any debris is clogging the fins. If is debris is present, the engine is running on overtime. Been there, done that.

if the smoke bothers you but it's not smoking real bad, put a stack mufler on it. When I got my B1, before I ever started it, I put one it. After a wile I took it off and put on a regular muffle. the whole time it had the stack going straight up, I had no idea it smoked. Elon

Now this last comment begs the question.... What's the downside of running a smoker (white smoke) if it has the needed power and you keep the oil level up. I mean other than the obvious, pollution. Jim

I have never tried this, but some people have had good luck with "Sea Foam" or something similar to free up the oil rings. Sometimes the oil rings get full of gunk and let oil sneak through.

My 712 had the Kohler rebuilt by the previous owner. It smokes when first started,and when under a load.I keep the oil level up,and run 15-40 Rotella,which seems to help.

quote:
Originally posted by Alpha8D
Now this last comment begs the question.... What's the downside of running a smoker (white smoke) if it has the needed power and you keep the oil level up. I mean other than the obvious, pollution. Jim
I was only suggesting that as a temporary fix. Tearing down a engine right before winter mite not be the best thing, unless you have others to play with. Elon

Boney hi, There are no silly questions. Only silly answers. My 2 cents. Don't run the engine. This will reduce smoke.

Thnx all for the great responses, I will try the Seafoam. What is 15-40 Rotella ? (i am thinking it is oil). I like the idea of the stack muffler. If it is still smoking this summer I will do piston rings if needed. Thnx all for the help :) Herm

PSS I keep most of my tractors in the bedroom, so they stay pretty good. Seamfoam is good for diesel injectors, I use it as preventative maintenance on vehicles over 50,000 miles-but don't expect too much from it.

I definitely wouldn't run it too hard. As old as that engine is getting, I'd be thinking about panning to rebuild it while parts are available and before you wear the cylinder over .030 If you fix it now, it will likely be cheaper to repair than waiting.