Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Snowblower project,: engineering ideas welcome

roma3112

Folks Here is what i am trying to do, I am trying to adapt a linear actuator to the spout of my blower, so that i may remotely adjust the angle of the spout. I tryied using a long PTO type cable last season and it did not work too well. I got a linear actuator off flea-bay (3 inch operating range) and want to try and use it for that purpose. I just got it in the mail and went to the shed to try to brainstorm some ideas on how to mount it. What i found out is that depending on where i mount the unit as the spout opens and closes the angle with refrence to the mounting points changes, so the range of motion is not in a straight line. I am thinking that if i solidly mount the actuator on studs that it will bind when the spout deflector moves. Any ideas on how to make some kind of mount(s) for this actuator that will allow it to work? thanks john

Just mount(weld) a heavy stud to the fixed part of the spout and mount the actuator on that allowing the actuator to rotate itself on the stud. Do the same on the hood of the spout for the moving part of the actuator. This arrangement allows for the movement you are talking about.

Sam thanks for the imput! Somtimes I find it hard to conceptualize things and I did not want to have some kind of rube-goldburg kind of set up take care john

It is also known as a rod end. I know I have problems ordering them from a catolog. essentially a bearing that has a threaded part attached

I found some rod end bearings on the net, i am going to try and rigidly mount the unit today, and if that dosent work I may try the bearing route. Another possibility I was thinking of is using (if i can find) some old Tie rod ends from one of my parts tractors. I will try to get some pics of the finished "masterpeice" thanks john

Check here...for a description and pic of heim joint. http://www.monstertower.com/HeimJoint.htm you can find them in most AG stores down to hobby store for R/C cars and planes. James K. sorry had to fix the link.

also check out E-bay item number 6017613245 guy has a bunch in smaller sizes maigh fit the bill. I have seen em with either male or female ends.