Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

need replacement engine

Hello, I have a 66 model simplicity 707 that needs a new engine. The engine that is on it now is a briggs 8 hp.The model of the engine is 190707. I have been informed that this style of engine is no longer made and there is no replacement by briggs or any other manf. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Virtually any 8 hp Briggs (also Techumseh and probably Kohler, too) will fit into the tractor. If you use the original gas tank and muffler, it will fit right in without modification of the tractor. The new engine would not use the original starter/generator. The wiring changes needed for the newer engine are very minor and any service shop would be able to install it. Tom

Tom, this engine has a 12v starter not a starter/generator. I would take a kohler or briggs but not a techumseh unless it was really a last resort. From what I understand, the newer style 28 series briggs will bolt right up but the head is 2 inches longer and I dont have that much to play with unless I want to run it without the grill and hood. Here is a pic with the hood and grill off. Sorry, Im not sure how to resize the pic.

I've seen a lot of 11 and 12 HP briggs engines replaceing the older 8's like you have. They aren't much diff. in size to the 8's. You can find a decent 11 or 12 in most any of the box store MTD or Murry built mowers. But as stated you have to alter it to a gear drive starter rather than the older S/G. Eric, non-paying members cannot post pictures on the site.

11 & 12 hp wont do in the 707. Not enough room between the grill support and the head. Been there looked at that. Neither do the overhead valve engines work. Thats what Kohler has these days so thats out too. There's still nos engine here and there. Finding them is the trouble. For example, There was one on the shelf at farm king in galesburg this summer. Dont know if its still there or not. Like dave suggested look for a running engine in another cheaper brand of tractor. Alot of the time the dime store brands lose the deck or tranny before the engine goes out. Again, trouble is locating those tractors. Run a ad in the local paper if all else fails.

quote:
Originally posted by SmilinSam
11 & 12 hp wont do in the 707. Not enough room between the grill support and the head. Been there looked at that. Neither do the overhead valve engines work. Thats what Kohler has these days so thats out too. There's still nos engine here and there. Finding them is the trouble. For example, There was one on the shelf at farm king in galesburg this summer. Dont know if its still there or not. Like dave suggested look for a running engine in another cheaper brand of tractor. Alot of the time the dime store brands lose the deck or tranny before the engine goes out. Again, trouble is locating those tractors. Run a ad in the local paper if all else fails.
I put in a 12HP http://www.simpletractors.com/gallery/hot_broadmoor.htm in place of an 8 HP and there wouldn't been enough room for hood and grill. Also the 4 mounting holes had to be slotted about 1/4" forward so the blower housing would let the flywheel spin freely. First go around, I couldn't get the engine to turn over because the blower housing was was pressed againt the fire wall and that held the flywheel tight. The above was the bad side. The good side is nary a problem for 10+ years.