Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Kohler -vs-Briggs

Simpleton7016

OK, gentleman and ladies. You may be reading a post from the worlds biggest idiot. A real "simpleton" (no pun intended). I have been troubleshooting some snowblower problems and may have found the problem. I bought the tractor (1975 Simplicity 7016H) earleir this summer and the guy I bought it from told me he put a new Briggs engine on it. I think it may be a Kohler though. This could explain the problem. The snowblower assempbly is sooooooo close to functioning and I think the differences between the engines may be the culprit as I have front PTO hardware for a Briggs engine. Is there a quick and sure-fire way to distinguish between the engines. I do not see an engine tag or stamp on the side where it should be for a Briggs engine. Anyone, I assumed the the guy who sold the tractor to me new what he was talking about. In effect, I may have made an "ass" out of "u" and "me". Your tips thus far have been most helpful, thanks. Then, my next question is whether or not one engine is superior to the other. Is one a more desirable engine than the other? More reliable? Easier to service? Better track record? eASIER TO FIND PART FOR, ETC.

Personally I like Briggs myself. I have never seen a cast iron Briggs with a hole in the side of the block, but have seen a few Kohlers that way. If you could post a picture of the engine that would be a Big help. The 7016 H came from the factory with a Briggs 16hp.

Is it a single cylinder? Does it have a car type coil? Does carb leak? Does it have a hole on side of block? Does it have a starter generator? What is size of Crankshaft? Or a picture

I also like Briggs & Stratton engines better. I have over 30 Simplicity & Allis Chalmers tractors.:D8D The Kohler engine runs louder than a Briggs & Stratton engine,and have a fuel pump that could need repairs later on. The Kohler engine has the carb bolted to the engine block,with a horizontal air cleaner(air filter),sticking out the side or the tractor hood. The Briggs & Stratton engine..carb is bolted to a short tube,with a vertical air cleaner(air filter). Karl [url]www.simplicityva.com[/url]

OK, thanks Carl. The good news is that the Briggs appears to be the preferred model. So I am happy about that. The bad news is that now i am back to square one for troubleshooting that snowblower!

...and as I look out the window, mother nature is beginning to give us our first significant snowfall of the year!!

This is the operator manual for a MFG. no. 1690032,1690033 snowblowers this manual shows how to set up the clutch for Briggs & Stratton and Kohler engines. [url]http://www.simplicitytechpubs.com/6767PRINT/PDF_files/TP_100_1688_00_AT_SMA.pdf[/url] Karl

Thanks again Carl. I printed this off earlier in the week and I followed the PTO installation instructions, but still have something wrong. My kids are waking up soon, so I will have to take some pictures of the problem and post them later.

Any Kohler I've see is easy to reconize, they have a chrome handle on the side of the tank:D:D As too your snowblower, did you get it spin freely? You don't want to run it with a froze up augar bearing because the set screws will cut a grove in the shaft.

quote:
Originally posted by elhekkers
Thanks again Carl. I printed this off earlier in the week and I followed the PTO installation instructions, but still have something wrong. My kids are waking up soon, so I will have to take some pictures of the problem and post them later.
Where in Brookfield are you? I live in Butler

Hello neighbor. I am a half mile east of Brookfield Square shopping mall, 1 block south of Bluemound Rd. And you?

quote:
Originally posted by elhekkers
Hello neighbor. I am a half mile east of Brookfield Square shopping mall, 1 block south of Bluemound Rd. And you?
127th Street And Hampton. My daughter lives 127th and Greenfield.

Most all Briggs of this type (single cast irons) have that "up draft" carborator. You can see the tube on top of carb going into motor. Kohles the carb gose right into the head. Other real odvious difference are the oil filler tube is tall on Kohlers. And short, right next to the bottom on Briggs. Also, all that I'v ever seen the Kohles have a battery powered coil (like you see on cars) mounted externally. Don't really rember but i think some where i read that most all Briggs have a 1 /18 pto shaft. And some of the Kohlers can have a 1" pto shaft or 1 1/8.

I think your clutch is slipping. There should be a key in the crankshaft and another in the cone clutch. I would also think that there should be facing material on cone face. Does pulley trn and not the belt? Then your belt is slipping. If snowblower doesn't turn, it should stop your tractor or smoke a belt. Briggs 16 are hard to stop.

This thread has been so one sided for B&S that I just had to say that I like Kohlers just as well.:D Kind of like cars. Anymore there is just not that much difference so buy what you like.^ Dan aka Ironpony

Ronald, you are thinking exactly what I am thinking. When I take out the rod assembly and manually move the fork back and forth, the clutch does indeed engage and the pulley will turn when the belt is off....just not real strong. I bought a new belt and brake assembly. The only think left that I can think of is that there is not enough facing material on the cone clutch. I have ordered a new one. Unfortunately, it will arrive after this big snowfall we are having as I type. Guess my lazy[img]/club2//attach/UCD/censored.gif[/img]will have to do it the old fashioned way tonight....with a shovel! :( Two addtional questions: 1. Can you or I put clutch facing on? If so, how. If not, do I just have to buy another one each time it burns up? 2. One other concern about the thrower and a potential contributer to my problem, is that when engaged in its' forward position, the fork actually makes contact with the belt coming off of the idler pulley. This can't be the way it was engineered, but also doesn't move it enough that I can imagine it would cause the problems I am having.

1. I have heard of people useing leather belting and glue it in place. 2. I have never used a cone clutch. I started to put one on my 3414. Changed my mind and put an electric clutch on it.

Thanks BLT your right. The Briggs pictured is newer, it has the shut off mounted on the blower housing. Boy that would mess a guy up if it was not by passed and in line with the swich. and in the off posoion.