Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Vickers Hydro Fixed - Again?

JoeJ

Late last fall a friend of mine and I "repaired" a leaky Vickers with the O-ring method around the control shaft and a shim washer. One twist, we cut a grove in the shaft and pump housing to seat the O-ring better. It worked well until about two months ago. Started leaking again, gradually getting bad enough to warrant 2nd try. After removing the control arm and O-ring, which was torn up, I was standing there trying to think about how to make a more permanent fix, without getting it machined. I then spied a spare garden hose nozzel rubber washer in my garage. Just for kicks I slid it on the shaft - a perfect fit. I took it back off replaced the O-ring, and put the rubber washer back on. With the control arm in place I no longer need the shim washer as the fit is VERY snug. It does not leak for now, I'll keep the group posted as to it's longevity. One last note, I had to remove the whole pump in order to get the %$%$!! roll pin out of the shaft and arm. With the whole pump removed I briefly considered breaking down and sending the whole thing to President DLC for the machine work, but shipping this anchor to the east coast, as well as having the machine work done will cost more than I gave for this tractor, so I opted for the 20 cent repair - for now. If this doesn't work longer than the last repair did I'll be heading for the nearest UPS drop off......Brent

Mine was leaking at the pintle shaft coming out the rear, probably the same spot yours was leaking. Last year i put a large snug fitting o ring on it and coated it with anti seize and backed it up with a split collar and it hasn't leaked yet. I have a lot of trees in my yard so i'm always using different speeds and directions and it's still dry.Let me know how that hose washer works.

We stock rebushed housings. I check this site from home and I can't recall the exchange price.