Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

AGs

PhanDad

As I mentioned in the "Are You Ready for Winter" post, I'm trying AGs on the blade tractor this year.

I used them this morning to plow the 2" or so of snow/freezing rain/rain accumulation. I was impressed, hardly any wheel spinning, even climbing my steep driveway (already plowed, but still slick). The AGs are Carlisle 23x10.50-12 TruPowers . I was going to get Carlisle Super Lugs, but 8" rims are recommended. The TruPower's only need 7" rims. I figured since you want them to lay flat and narrow rims tend to 'bow' the tire, I went with the TruPowers. What tire pressure should you run for best traction? (Snow/Ice on paved surfaces) Rim Size PS: Carlisle also recommends 8" rims for 23x10.50-12 turf tires. Checked my various tractors with 23x10.50-12 tires. Except for the old Homelite, all the rims are 7", the Homelite is 8". Checked some part numbers using Jack's Database and the old 8" Homelite rims now cross to 7" rims. Interesting.

Those tires look like the Titan Tru-powers I have on the 4040. I have Super Lugs on the B-112 that are 23x10.5x12's I run 8-10 lbs on.

Nice AGs and a Homelite too cool! I have AGs coming for my B-112 All 4 I'ts going to look tough, I still think chains are the way to go for the best traction . I wonder if you could run chains on AGs ,havn't seen it yet but i'm going to try it. I'll post some pics if it works

I have ags and chains on my B-110 with snowblowerbut have not had a chance to be home and try it out yet. I can post how well it works after I try it once. Thanks for the pictures. Benjamin

The ags on my loader are loaded and I run around 8# in them. I used to run chains on the ags on my 9N for snow removal, it would just spin the tires without the chails.

I use my little 627 with ags on front and back no weights or chiains . It pushes snow great and have not got it stuck yet

quote:
Originally posted by bud119195
I use my little 627 with ags on front and back no weights or chiains . It pushes snow great and have not got it stuck yet
Last year I kept getting stuck, If I drifted off into snow that was 6 inches or deeper. Wheel weights fixed that problem.

Very nice looking tractor you have there.Wheel weights and chains should help alot to get you through the snow.I like the tires you have there.They should help you out alot to give you the bite you need .

The outer wheel weight is "homemade". Many years ago, while working nights on a plant start up in Texas, there was 1/2" thick steel plate available. I had a eight 10" circles cut from the plate. Flew them back to PA as baggage on Eastern airlines - no extra charge back then! ATM there is one plate per side on the Homelite and three plates on the GTH-L along with the Simplicity plastic covered concrete weights. Usually the plates are mounted inside the wheel, but with the AG rims, the single plate mounted better on the outside. The inner weights (mostly black) on the Homelite are old purchased cast weights, not sure who made them, but it wasn't Simplicity. They are not solid, they are rings. They can be better seen in my post on page 3 of "Is everybody ready for the snow" post on Talking Tractors. I changed the mounting location between pics.