Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

electric spout "finished"

mhertzfeld

Hi all, I'm trying to figure out how to wire a GM door motor to a three way switch. The motor has two wires on it and the switch has three. I'm totaly brain dead right now, so any one who can help me would be great. Elon

I'm not sure, but could it be that the ground is in the motour, (in it's usual use it would ground through the door) and each of the two wires is for a different direction?

Hi Elon, Did you look inthe do it yourself section? Doug Byam did a REAL good article on what he did. All his work is top shelf (Him too!). I would think he'd respond to any questions you might have. Keep us posted! JP PS the link......... http://www.simpletractors.com/do_it/spout_motor.htm

Elon, One wire is hot and one is ground. What you do to reverse directions is to switch the two wires. You need to use a double-pole, double-throw switch. This will have six connections on it. Hook the hot to one of the center connections, and ground to the other. Hook the motor wires to two of the outer connections, then jump these same wires to the other outer set of connections, but reverse the wires on those two. This way, if you flip the switch one way the motor will turn one way, but if the switch is flipped the other way it will reverse the direction of rotation, because the wires are reversed.

http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=44562 Wiring Diagrams SPDT (Single Pole Double throw) & DPDT (Double pole Double throw) Switches for electric spout rotator and electric lift. These switches should be momentary on switches. (spring loaded auto return to center) Used on spout rotators

Used on electric lifts

You need a doubble pole doubble through center off switch. On the two center posts, connect positive to one and negative to the other. The two wires from the motor connect to the two posts on one end of the switch. Connect diagonial jumper wires from the posts that you connected the motor wires to to the other side of the switch.This is a motor reversing circuit.

It might be easier to get an actual door switch from a passenger door with wiring harness from the junk yard. In this case one wire should be hot (pink?) and the other two (that ran to the drivers door switch) wired together and to ground and of coarse the two stay the same to the motor.

It looks like I need to get a 6 pole switch, The motor I have can not be grounded thru the motor case. Like Rod said one wire is ground and one is power. Thanks for the quick replys. I hope to get this on soon, Were going to get more snow in the next couple of days. I need to get this done before I can put my cab on. Since the cab isn't for a Simplicity, there is no place to put the spout rod into the cab on the right, so rather than slicing into a 30year old cab, I figured this would be better. I'll post pictures when I get it done. Elon

quote:
Originally posted by ambler
I just bought a NOS turner and it has a three post switch. Check 990880.
Yes and if I'm not mistaken, the ground is on the motor case. Mine will not work that way. I have to ground it by the switch. I have hooked up a three pole switch in every consevable manner, it won't work! lol Elon

elon Look at the bottom schematic. You need a double pole double throw DPDT switch. The switch reverses polarity on the two wires to reverse motor

quote:
Originally posted by UCD
elon Look at the bottom schematic. You need a double pole double throw DPDT switch. The switch reverses polarity on the two wires to reverse motor
Yep going to pick one up in the morning. Thnaks Maynard Elon

Eric Napa has those switches for about 8 dollars (just got one) If you cant find them in your area drop me an email I just bought 25 of the things on ebay (momentary dpdt) and i would be more than happy to send you one when i get them for like 6$ plus whatever it costs to stuff it in an envalope.

For those using the motor that uses the 3 pole switch and grounds through the case, it helps greatly to run a ground wire from the tractor frame to the snowblower frame where the spout motor bolts to the frame. Also, I found that the 6 tab switches for the other setup Maynard posted diagrams for sold at radio shack sem to work. They are around $5.

Be sure and get a "momentary" switch, with double pole, double throw, center off, as Maynard said and shows in the lower diagram. The switch must be center off. If you can't find center off, then put a push button in series with it so that there will only be power when the button is pushed. Elon, if you can't find a double pole, double throw, then you can mount two of the single pole, double throw switches(like you already have) side-by-side. You will have to switch them both at the same time if you use them this way.

Well this is what I came up with. I got the switch from Napa, part number TG7071 $10.59 with tax. It seem to work just fine. Between this and putting the cab on, I didn't get into the house till 11:30. [img]/club2/attach/ehertzfeld/img0986.jpg[/img] [img]/club2/attach/ehertzfeld/img0987.jpg[/img] Elon

My 42" blower already had that done when I got it. They just cut the top out of an oil quart and notched it for the shaft as a cover.

quote:
Originally posted by HubbardRA
Elon, When can I expect mine to be delivered? You did make one for me also, didn't you? LOL
Yep put it in the mail box this morning.:o) Elon