Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

OEM Optional Front/Rear Ball Hitch?

Kent

Kent, Will look this over, and see if I can draw it up. But will only have the 410 to go by. Looks to be held up by axle going in the notchs in front, what holds up the back? Joe J

I just added the info on an Allis-Chalmers optional front or rear ball hitch (thanks to Del Allen). I don't know how common they are, but this is the first I've heard of them. The neat thing about this hitch is that it just clips on either the front or the rear, using only two hitch pins. You should then be able to change it from one end of the tractor to the other in a couple minutes. It seems very handy. . . Does anyone have one of these? Could you provide the measurements? I'd love to have the measurements, and see if I could get one fabricated.[A href='http://www.simpletractors.com/ball_hitch.htm'][img src='http://www.simpletractors.com/images/b_attachments_images/ball_hitch4_small.jpg'][/a]

Neat! I have a 1 7/8" ball with a 5/8-11 shank. I tapped the existing drawbar on my B-1 and Sovereign. Used it on the B-1 for years to pull a trailer and move my pontoon boat (when I had it) around the yard. The factory hitch discussed does raise the ball height at the rear and also fits the front but unless the height is needed my method is quick and cheap. Roy

Yes, I think the notches in the top of the upright bars fit under the rear lift shaft, holding the top in place. The holes for the rear hitch pins must be on the bottom of these upright bars, and "hidden" in the view above. The thing I like about this one is to be able to put it on the front, then quickly take it off, since it could get in the way of other attachments. I'll bet that I could "spot" a trailer much more accurately if I'm driving forward than if I'm backing up. This could come in handy in tight quarters such as putting my fishing boat in the barn -- where there's about 18" clearance to play with. Backing up, it usually takes me two or three tries. . .

Kent, I made one of these last winter for my Simplicity 3012. The drawing I used did not show the horizontal piece for front mounting, so mine only fits the rear. The top notches do slip around the rear lift shaft and then the bottom area is aligned and secured with hitch pins. These holes are "hidden" from view in the picture. I never thought about it also mounting on the front! What a clever and useful idea. Ben

Yes I am new to this fine looking club, this hitch to which I have seen connects to the front like the older snowblowers do. It is really a neat setup up but its been a while sense I have seen one. Thanks for allowing me to be part of your club, Branden

Kent, Simplicity also made a rear only ball hitch assembly Model # 990907. I found it in the 7000 series attachment parts manual. If anyone has one I am diffently interested. Jeff