Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Plowing -vs- Blowing

Simpleton7016

I am curious what others prefer to do with their snow. Regarless of your tractor, do you prefer to plow it or snowthrow it? I think there are pro's and cons to each. I have the plow for my tractor and have used it in the past. I have not yet met a snowfall that the plow can not handle with tirechains and a heavy rear weight. This year though, I have become obsessed with a snowthrower attachment for a few reasons. When plowing, it often seems like I am moving a little snow a long distance and it just seems like I have to make a lot of runs up and down my driveway. For example, during heavy snows, I put the blade down and push the snow all the way down the driveway. Inevitably, some snow goes over the blade or out the wrong side and I have to make another pass - sometimes several passes. Though not functional yet, it seems the with a snowthrower, I can make just one pass per strip of pavement thereby reducing the toal time it takes my to clean the driveway. The snowthrower also seems to have the added advantage of throwing the snow a long distance away from the driveway, whereas the plow piles seem to pile pretty high on the sides of the driveway making it difficult to move the snow during heavy winters. Plus, with those high piles, I seem to get a lot of drifting. The plow however, seems to do a real good job of scraping the driveway very close to the surface making it a very clean driveway when I am done. Whereas a snowthrower will probably result in a lot of residual 'dusting' from the stuff that falls back to the spot I just threw it from. I also suspect that the snowthrower is a little tougher on the engine due to the extra load, and this may decrease the life of my engine. Plus, the snowthrower has so many more moving parts that need maintenance whereas the plow will probably last forever with almost no maintenance. I have both attachments, and given all the troubles I am having with making my snowthrower operational, I am wondering if I didn't make a mistake by not just sticking with the plow. Which do y'all prefer?

I think your putting way too much thought into it, My thery, another attachment......another tractor to put it on!!! lol I use both and like them equaly. I plow/blow about 1000ft so I get to work them both. ICurrently I have two tractors with plows and one with a blower. Blowers in wet snow are worthless so having a tractor with a plow all ready to go, saves alot of time. Elon

I like to plow, but then again I have never used a snowblower yet so... we'll have to wait and see till I get a big enough snow and that I am home for it. Benjamin

2 inches or less: Plow More than 2 inches: Blow The Simplicity snowblowers will scrape the drive as clean as a plow. And if your careful and blow with the wind, the drive will stay clear. Only issue is near buildings where swirls cause blowbacks and if you don't have a cab, you become part snowman.

I use the blade until my snow berms on the side of the driveway get too high and there is no place for the snow to roll. Then I use the blower the rest of the winter. My first snow stays all winter so my berms never go away before the next snow. I did make a wing for the blade that helps a lot in keeping the snow from rolling off the leading edge when plowing.

I am starting to feel better about my decision to get a snowthrower attachment.....especially if someone with over 23 thousand posts says so! :)

I use both. I have the two "W" tractors one with plow and one with a blower. The Blower is faster and cleaner, but the plow handles the slush Ice and wet stuff. If I had to have just one it would be the blower.

quote:
Originally posted by PhanDad
2 inches or less: Plow More than 2 inches: Blow
I also like the Blower for Blowing back the drive when the drive gets narrow and the side banks are high.. It's really all what you like...

I like a blower much better than a plow. I have to clear a rather long gravel drive and when I use a plow, I just cannot seem to keep from picking up gravel at the same time. Mike

I use and like both, in my situation during a storm the blower gets the most use but i often use my other tractor with the blade to break up snow banks and to push around the slush if we get any. My blower is also useful because my driveway is narow in some spots and if we get alot of snow i need to make room for the next snowfall so i need to blow the stuff as far back off the drive as possible. I guess to answer your question I would have to say it all depends on your area, if you have lived at that house for a wile you should get the feel for the location and how you need to place the snow to have access to what you need to. BUT When in doubt buy another machine :)

I like the use of a blade, but a snowblower gives a much neater appearance. No banks, or "rough edges"

I use both the blade is excellent out by the road where the county leaves hard slush and chunks. The blower works well on the long runs but I have a cab and without it the blower is a real cold way to go. My new toy is a 725 with a back blade and that work great in close to the buildings pulling the snow away from the doors. Of course when we get one of those huge lake effect storms lake Michigan is famous for its time for the big Oliver with the loader and back blade, it hard to beat a 12000# tractor with 75 HP.

Blower. Why waste time pushing snow to the side, and it gets all piled up. Blower gets rid of snow. And you feel neat making your own blizzard.

I use both.2110 has a 36"blower,712H has a blade. The blade works good for the heavy wet stuff,and for cleaning up around the mailbox,scraping the driveway when it warms up a bit,etc.Snowblower gets everything else.

I use the snowblade for snow up to 4 inches, snowblower for snow over 4 inches.Most of the snow we get I use the tractor with the blade more often. This picture was taken last year,I have the same tractors ready again for this winter. Simplicity 3416H with 46 inch blade,Allis Chalmers HB-112 with 46 inch blade,Allis Chalmers 919H with snow cab & 42inch snowblower. [img]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/attach/karl_brandt/HPIM0438.JPG[/img] Karl [url]www.simplicityva.com[/url]

If it's the weekend and I have time to play I will use the blade a time or two to clear the driveway. If it has snowed a bunch and I have to deal with the snow after I get home I'll use the blower. Down in front of my garage I have to use the blower as I have to put all the snow into a narrow spot between a hill and the street. That pile gets over 6 foot high by spring. The blade is more fun to use but the blower makes a faster, neater job. Up by my house I have limited area to pile snow so the blower is used most of the time there also.

I use both blade and blower for the different amounts of snowfall.I really like the blade for cleaning up the hard packed snow that the blower did'nt pick up.If I had to choose between the 2,I'd have to stick with the blower.

After using both, I'd vote for the blower. Much faster and will move almost anything. I've gone through snow as tall as the blower and with a plow, I'd be shoveling. I love the look on the neighbors with the walk behind blowers when I bring my 42" blower out. I think I could shovel faster than they blow! A plow is fun to play with though.

One also has to consider the area to be cleaned and the machine that will do the job.

This gets 90% of my work done and it's orange too. Even if I had the tiniest of zero turn tractors, I would waste more time turning around and getting lined up for passes. Here is the other view.

If you squint real hard at the garage, you will see a 826 Simplicity 2 stage next to the car. This gets used maybe once or twice a year. My little plastic job will handle dry snow snow up to 6" deep, lite to manuver and doesn't rust. What it won't handle is is heavy wet snow, but what will?

I've only used the blower on my HB212 one time last year. The only blade I had was my rear blade for the 4040. I now have a blade and blower for the HB212 and the 620. I tend to go along w/ the less than 4" I'll plow, more than that I'll try to blow. It's mostly heavy wet snow around here when we get any so I don't figure the blades will do much after 3 or 4" Hopefully by this time next mounth I can let you know whitch I prefer.