Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

I know it's not orange......

Wishin2BMowin

One of my buddies has an old Cub Cadet. He says it's the first year they made them (60's vintage?). It's complete and even has a mower deck. Has been sitting in dry storage for around 15 years. Does anyone here know if it's worth a lot of money? Anyone here want to buy this or know of someone that collects Cubs? If so I'll get the model and serial numbers and maybe some pics??

A guy I deal with on appliances has an early Cub that still gets used for mowing about an acre or so.I think he said his is from 1957?

Not to get your friend too excited but, if it is what is known as a cub original it may hold quite a nice value depending on the serial number and condition. He should look for numbers casted into the underside of the transmission. Do some internet seaches on cub original and see what you come up with.

Serial numbers are stamped into the right side of the tractor(as seated) in the middle of the casting ahead of the rear axle down from the gear shifter. Most collectors are looking for 3 digit numbers under #1000. Production began in 1960 with serial # 501. Production of the "Original" continued through 1963 and serial number 65457. This all according to information posted on one of the Cadet sites.

quote:
Originally posted by a7117puller
sounds like a engine donor, muahahahhaha!
Not so fast.....Kohler engines in Cubs were made to IH specs...your orange would have to be modified to accept the mounting of the Cub engine. Not to mention, I don't recall a Simplicity or AC that ever ran a 7hp K-161 Kohler.

It's value depends greatly on what is on it. Lights,fenders,rear pto,creaper gear and rear lift to name a few. These options are worth more than the basic tractor.

btw...it dont take much to turn the hydro pump, and an engine is an engine as long as it powers/repowers the unit. All it takes is a welder and a torch to make things fit, lol. What about twin k161's??? Take the motor and scrap the rest. :D I dislike cubs :D

I'll have to look at his a little closer. I know it's yellow/white,with I think red lettering.I'll look for that serial number.