Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

2ply turfs

ehertzfeld

I've been trying to figure out what to get for my wife's puller. After taking to a bunch of people, I have dicided to go with turfs. From what people around here said, turfs do better for the tracs around here. Any way I can run up to 23x10.5x12, but I cant seem to find any in 2ply rating. I want to go with Carlisle tires. either, multi-trac c/s or turfmaster, or turf-trac r/s. I have look at Tucker, Miller, and Rustbore, and they only have 4ply or more. Anyone have another place to look? Thanks Elon

elon, Any of these help. You should be able to order them. http://www.carlisletire.com/products/turf_handlers/index.html

Ambler, thanks for the site. It never dawned on me to check for a web site. "blonde moment" I wasn't sure if they made them in 2ply ratings. I'l just have to figure out that tred desing would be best. Elon

Try your local "SIMPLICITY" dealer (Yankee Sales and Service), Thats where I used to buy my 2 ply turf tires for pulling. [:0] Rob

I just go to my country tire dealer. He'll get anything. They do Ag,Commercial and my cars. They're going to lad my Massey tires here.

Can't believe you are going with turfs. What do you pull on, asphalt? Oh, well, I never pulled against a turf tire that I didn't beat. LOL

quote:
Originally posted by HubbardRA
Can't believe you are going with turfs. What do you pull on, asphalt? Oh, well, I never pulled against a turf tire that I didn't beat. LOL
Not a clue but every one up here said to run trufs. I supose if they don't do well, I can get AGs then. Elon

Elon, we have been garden tractor pulling very successfully for many years. We have pulled on all kinds of surfaces...from loose gravel to very sticky clay, asphalt and concrete. Turf tires will out run lug tires every time on asphalt and concrete. But the only time that turf tires have had any success in the dirt arena is when a clay track has dried as hard as concrete AND is very smooth (just like concrete). If your pulling club allows it, taper cut your lug tires - it makes a BIG difference! BTW - Carlisle Turf Pro is a 2-ply tire. Some pullers have been using this tire successfully but it is VERY fussy about air pressure. Lately some guys have been trying the Titan Multi-Trac 2-ply, but the verdict is still out. Most pullers use the Carlisle Turf Chief for pulling on asphalt and concrete. Note: In garden tractor pulling you do NOT want your tires to squat! We run alot more air pressure than you would if it was being used as a working tractor.

The comments on the tires is very interesting. But isn't there more to consider than just "type" of track your pulling on? Some other things that come to mind are: 1) Type of pulling (stone boat or wieght transfer sled.) 2) Weight of sled ( The pictures I've seen of sleds posted in this club are half the size of the one in my local area.) 3) Hitch height 4) Type of class you run in (stock class here is 3600 rpm +/- 5, which makes a big difference from 4000 rpm other clubs use.) 5) Tire size (stock class here is 23") 6) and weight classes (here stock class is 1050# and 1250#. Rob

Here in VA, we always pull on clay. Very few people use turf tires at all. In the lowest stock class (900#) we are allowed 14 Hp, 23x10.5x12 tires, 13 inch hitch height, and 3600rpm + 10% = 3960 max rpm (enforced as 4000). Our sled weighs 8500#, and can be made easy to pull by a 900# stocker but can be set to stop an 1800# blown, big-block, mini-rod. It is that adjustable. It is self propelled, and has an automatic measuring system on it. No need for a pull-back tractor or a tape measure. We also pull on a 200 ft track.

Elon Why be a conformist? Do something different. Just because they do don't mean they are right. Being different might just put you on top.

quote:
Originally posted by UCD
Elon Why be a conformist? Do something different. Just because they do don't mean they are right. Being different might just put you on top.
Ya got a point:) Elon

From what some one told me, the problem with AGs around here is they build up too much dirt in front of the sled. I don't know for sure but it kinda makes sence. Elon

Make sure to check the local rules with the club you are pulling with. It might be in their rules that you have to run turfs in certain classes regardless of the type of track.

That track also looks to be packed hard as a rock. For the pulls in this area, they usually plow and disk up the track, and then wet and roll it to re-pack it. It is also graded and rolled between classes. Most times it is rolled between individual pulls. It will be smooth, but have a soft consistency to it. As I said before, nearly all of the tracks we pull on are "clay". They haul it in to make the tracks, since much of the soil in this area is sandy and has very little traction. If you let clay sit and pack, it is like a smooth rock with sand on the top surface. "Very slick". You would have to use Turfs on packed clay, AGs wouldn't have enough rubber on the ground to get the necessary traction. Since SVTPA is a member of ATPA, they require the promoters to prepare the track in a specific manner before they will put on the pull. This is also a traveling circuit. Never more than two pulls on the same track in one season. Moving the location for the different pulls produces variability, and prevents single person domination in a given class because they become "dialed-in" for that specific track. At one time we had all pulls in a single location, by a single promoter, but that was before the pullers bought the sled and scales and formed SVTPA. Traveling to different tracks is actually more fun, and it helps to support more fund raisers from local organizations like fire departments and rescue squads who promote most of the pulls. Because of this we have participants from all over VA, some from MD, and a few from NC.

quote:
Originally posted by BruceF
Make sure to check the local rules with the club you are pulling with. It might be in their rules that you have to run turfs in certain classes regardless of the type of track.
The only rules are not cut tires, and in my weight class, up to 23x10.5 tires. As far as type, no rule on that. Elon

Elon, if you are pulling on a very hard track AND you can't cut your lug tires, then the turfs may be the way to go. I noticed from your picture that the Wheel Horse does NOT have 10.5 tires on it. They look like 12.0. In the foreground the black tractor has shaved lug tires .... on backwards ??? Probably a different class. Are you allowed "hang on weights" or wheel weights only? It is hard to tell but the tractors visiable do not look like they have any hanging weights. Very interesting the variety in this sport. Rob, yes there many variables that you have to deal with on every pull. Even temperature and humdity come into play. A few years ago, one of the clubs that we pulled with was changing the hitch chain length on each pull ... now THAT will mess with your head.