Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Purists and non-purists alike

Simpleton7016

Let me start by saying that I love my tractor (7016H). A love that my wife can not understand and the reason that I have to use my "tucky money" for anything I purchase. If she knew how much I was truly spending for the parts and attachments I've been purchasing, she would kill me! Now, my machine runs wonderfully. The Briggs engine was replaced just a few years back. I replaced the bevel box and most all the belts, arbors, pulleys etc are new. I take good care of it mechanically. I have a lot of attachments, but not all (still looking for a revitalizer, snow cab and post hole digger). Here is the problem....the tractor is an eye sore. It was not taken real good care of by the previous owner and though the sheet metal is all straight, there is rust and scratches etc. I would like to do some moderate restoration, but I am not a Simplicity/Allis purist. That is, I do not feel bound to keep it all original nor with the original colors. My preference is to make it look "cool" for my two boys who are 1 and 2 years of age. Questions: 1) Will I get run off of this board for doing so? (just kidding of course) 2) What are some of the more common modifications people make to these machines? Any head-turning modifications like stacks or cherry bombs? Keeping in mind that it has to remain functional for use on the lawn, snowblowing, tilling, etc. 3) Is there somewhere on this board or elsewhere where I can see some pictures or get some additional ideas for colors or aftermarket parts? 4) What are your personal suggestions? Is there anything you always wished you'd have done to your machine, but never got around to? I would love to dedicate the time and effort to doing some racing, but unless my wife divorces me and takes the kids, I will not be able to do so.

Several years back someone here painted one of thier tractors thier daughters scool colors, purple and green or something. Not sure I could do it, but the girl was quite involved in the project if I recall right. With effort, paint jobs can always be redone. I try to refrane from mods that can't be undone easy. Several guys have stack mufflers on thier tractors.

I like stacks and ORANGE tractors, lug tires on back ribs on front. And what ever modications that can be changed back. However I have a tractor that is having power steering and 28hp diesel installed. Plan is still to have it look stock. I belive decals are a big part of any project looking good

I am a purist when it comes to how my tractors look, that is just me though.....IMO if the job is done properly and looks good what difference does it make what color it is. I have seen some very nice custom paint jobs on tractors that I would be proud to own.

I saw some pics on here of tractors that were painted the colors of pro sports teams and other things. I would think as long as your just going to paint it a different color, that could always be re-done to keep it looking like it was originally. If you start cutting holes to attach things then you are stuck with it! Best of luck...

I like tractors to be restored like they came from the factory.I have seen so many orange tractors on the net painted differant colors it makes me sick.Each to their own but ,if you are going to take the time to paint it do it right.

Here is a link to the gallery. There are many tractors to see and dream about. Dan http://www.simpletractors.com/Main/gallery.htm

If you have only one tractor I'd keep serious mods to a limit. This way something you've done doesn't interfer w/ it's use and orriginal purpose. However, a little piant doesn't hurt anything. As long as it's not Green and yellow.

My feeling is that the tractor is yours. Do whatever makes you happy. My 716H is painted black and teal. My 61 Wards is black and maroon. My 713S (which I built totally from parts) is painted orange with factory decals. None of mine are stock as they came from the factory.