Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
Ryan

Bevel gear housing on B110

Ryan
Can the main pulley shaft be changed without splitting the housing from the tractor? The shaft on the drive side is worn .030 out of round and the key slot is torn out. The pulley is also shot. The pulley is no longer available. Is the shaft? Has anybody tried a standard pulley? Does the clutch still work O.K.? Ryan

I'm not sure but, if the B-110 bevel gear box design is like the 7012, I changed the driven shaft on mine with the housing in the tractor. Try Sandy Lake Implement (sandylakeimp@hotmail.com). They may have the shaft and pulley you need, or the assembly. If parts are not available, why not try to locate a used assembly? If you can, and you're going to keep the tractor, I'd recommend new bearings and seals. Just my opinion.

Kent
Ryan, I think you'll want to find a used pulley, rather than use a standard one. They used a special "two-piece" or "split" pulley that allowed the belt to slip slightly when you let the clutch out. It also allows you to "inch forward" using the clutch. If you use an standard aftermarket pulley, the belt won't slip like this, and it'll jerk slightly when you let the clutch out -- much like what happens when you engage the mower deck with the engine running fast.... My two cents. Kent

swood
You can get the shaft out of box, but there are gears inside that are on keys , you need to get cover off to remove gears and keys, I do not think there is alot of room down there. I have my B-112 still apart, if you want some pics, e-mail me i can send you some HORRIFYING SIGHTS. Now that I have taken it apart, it really is not that hard. Not that I want to do it again soon.... nickels worth... scott