Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

CCKB re-power

Floydster

In the near future I am going to have to re-power one of my Allis 620's. does SEW have the Honda repower kit hassle free at this point in time, or is it going to be a big deal. I know you guys have the answer. They no longer carry the Vanguard engine to re-power these tractors. I sure would appreciate any input from you pro's. Thanks Floyd

I repowered my 720 with a Honda 24 HP for Small engine warehouse. It's not hassle free nor is it a big deal. No decent instructions or tech support but I managed. I like the engine and you can tell it has an extra 4.5 HP.

Farthest thing from a pro but I did it with a little assistance from another club member. Do a search on Honda SEW and you should find pics and pointers on the installs. They have seemed to improve the kit over time and it fits well in my 620. Sean

Before you spend big money either way, take a look around the club at some other discutions. Do a search on the topic. This might be of some help too. You might have already seen this, but it does take a close look at the topics. I'm sure if properly done you'll be happy with either choice. http://simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=20941

Well, StanD got me to thinking on the re-power, the CCKB is still running with no smoke or bad noises, but it is just getting a little tired. I need to put a carb kit in and de-carbon the heads, it has never been done in the 26 years I have had this tractor. It still has plenty of power for mowing and plowing. Any input on removing the heads and what to watch out for, like breaking a head bolt!!!!!!, would be apprecited. This engine has never had any major work done on it from new. Thanks everyone, Floyd

Nothing freaky on these engines. Just pull the 2 1/4 nuts off the head and slide out the air shrouds and the heads will unbolt and slide off easily. Just replace the head bolts in the same location as removed. While your in there tinkering around, put a timeing light on it. Timeing is everything on most any engine and some worn parts in the ignition could retard the factory timeing and loose lots of power. Also while you have the heads off check the valves for guide play. If they are bad worn and there is signs of a lot of oil stain in the head it may be time for a rebuild. The cylinders and pistons hold up very well in these engines as long as it isn't subjected to a lot of over heating. What I see a lot of is worn valve guides and damaged valves and seats from the guides letting the valves wobble around. This looses compresion and cost's a lot of power also. For the cost of a rebuild verses the trouble in swapping plus the cost of the engine kit verses durability it's hard to beat these old Onan's.

Dave, Thanks for the reply, I will check the valves and guides when I pull the heads and if I need new guides and valves, it will have to wait until spring as I need the tractor for plowing snow. Thanks again, Floyd