Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

what to do with an old Sears plow

ehertzfeld

I wanted to set somthing up for the wife to go out an play with. She knows not to ask to use one of my nicer tractors, so I figured she couldn't hurt the B1 too badly}:) I got this plow from a friend. I had some free time at work today, so I wipped this up real quick. Hope it will hold up! But it angles real easy. After she takes it out to try, and it works, I'll take it off and give it a quick paint job. I need to do some work on the blade, so I can do it at the same time. [img]/club2/attach/ehertzfeld/img0994.jpg[/img] [img]/club2/attach/ehertzfeld/img0995.jpg[/img] [img]/club2/attach/ehertzfeld/img0996.jpg[/img] [img]/club2/attach/ehertzfeld/img0997.jpg[/img] Elon

Looks good. I have a sears plow like that also. Maybe I'll use your design to fit it to one of mine. You didn't patent it did you, LOL.

quote:
Originally posted by firefoxz1
Looks good. I have a sears plow like that also. Maybe I'll use your design to fit it to one of mine. You didn't patent it did you, LOL.
If I didn't want anyone to copy it, it wouldn't have posted a pic. Go ahead,copy away! Elon

Looks nice Elon! I got one like that at my town dump recently that was like new. Looks like the only thing I need to change is the bracket for the lift and switch sides on the handle for the angle release. No name anywhere on the plow that I could see. Looks to be a little wimpy but it may work for my driveways. Not sure how it will work with having my snow cab on though?? Best of luck with yours ( oops I mean the wife's) plow!!!

Elon. Those Sears blades are handy. I used the parallel link assembly off one just like yours to create the rear liftable hitch parts. You just may recognize some of the parts (slightly modified), when you look at the pictures in this past topic. Note the lower link of the hitch. http://simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=47691

Looks good, spare time at work? obviously you aren't a desk jockey. After that you can get her a pair of headlights so she can work at night while you are watching the game! lol

quote:
Originally posted by gjh
Looks good, spare time at work? obviously you aren't a desk jockey. After that you can get her a pair of headlights so she can work at night while you are watching the game! lol
Road side trailer mechanic. none of the companies have any empty trailers to work on "being right befroe Christmas", so we have to make ourself look busy! lol Elon

quote:
Originally posted by Roy
Nice work. Is that pipe or bar stock?
It's pipe, accually it's an opperator shaft from a trailer's rear roll up door. See I recycle!:D I save the good one when we change opporators. They are the spring loaded mechanisims"sp" that help lift over head doors. I have made a few things using them. Elon

Elon, Recycling is great. I'm using some of the 1/2" pipe fittings and pipe from having the house replumbed to make tractor/attachment parts. Also used a bracket from a small bicycle training wheel to make a brace for the modified Sovereign dozer hitch I am working on. Keep up the good work.

• 1 month later...
Elon: Sorry this is older--I'm doing some catchup reading, and I just had to comment. What a great job! I like how easily you can angle it, too! I will definitely keep my eyes opened for one of those blades and hitches. Peter

Re the pipe framework. I got a pipe notcher for Christmas so as soon as I buy some hole saws I should be able to do neat work using pipe to make things. :)

quote:
Originally posted by Roy
Re the pipe framework. I got a pipe notcher for Christmas so as soon as I buy some hole saws I should be able to do neat work using pipe to make things. :)
That would be a neet toy, I just pick up a 12 inch band saw. I'm going to get some metal blades for it. I'm thinking I can do some sweet things with it. Elon

My neighbor had one of those blades and was going to haul it to the scrap yard a few years ago.It ended up on the front of my old Wheelhorse.Can't remember what I hit,but I hit it hard.One of the things I mangeled was the angle bar with the notches in it.Every little thing would bend it after that.

My neighbor had one of those blades and was going to haul it to the scrap yard a few years ago.It ended up on the front of my old Wheelhorse.Can't remember what I hit,but I hit it hard.One of the things I mangeled was the angle bar with the notches in it.Every little thing would bend it after that.

quote:
Originally posted by dcw06
Yeah it is kinda flimsy, it's only going to be used by my wife a few time a winter. When she wants to play too.:D Elon

quote:
Originally posted by bud119195
Nice conversion but my eye reslly caught the tractor with flames . What is it? and can we see more pics of it
That is a 3410, that I replaced the 10hp for a twin 18hp. I'll post a few pic's of it this weekend. My wife is going to pull with it this summer/fall. Elon

quote:
Originally posted by ehertzfeld
Pete, the angle was already there. It's original to the plow. I cain't take credit for it.
Elon: I suspected as much, but still, it's a great adaptation, and am I wrong, or is there no "quick change angle" feature on a Simplitity plow/hitch? Roy: I don't think I've ever seen a "pipe notcher." Can you post a pic or link to one like yours? I'm always trying to broaden my (very slim) fab-knowledge, any way I can. It also sounds like "Item #2" in what I think should be a "Specialty Tools" post, begun with Marty's stethascope. No time like the present to start the new Christmas Wishlist, right? Peter

Peter, Look up "pipe notcher" at the Northern Tools or Harbor Freight web sites. Also try "http://www.jointjigger.com/". Should find pictures there. If not, notify me and I'll post a picture. Think my son got my Joint Jigger from Northern Tool. HF has a similar item for much less money.

Elon: Thanks--I'd like to find one of those "spring trip" plows. Roy: I really appreciate that--now at least I'll recognize one if I trip over it at a garage sale! And I'm glad to know they cost less at H.F. Thanks again. Peter