Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

New Shoes for the Snowbunny

Ford

The OEM puny little snowblower skids just weren't getting it on our loose stone driveway. They dug into the stone and we had stone going thru the blower and wrecking it. We should be giving these new ones a workout soon. Ford Got a chance to try it out yesterday. Worked out great! The bottom shoe is 1/4" X 3" wide, and 14" long.

Had the same problem with mine. Tried to weld some pieces to the existing shoes but used some metal stock that was too wimpy and they bent up. Hard to tell from the pic but do they have slots or extra holes to adjust them?

As you can see from the pix, I had that problem, and tried the same remedy. You can see the additional piece welded to the bottom of the little shoe. The new shoes came ready made from Hanson Mfg. They were for a pickup truck mounted snowblower (not cheap). I had to cut the top off the new ones, and drill 2 holes in what was left for attaching. In fact, I still have the tops that were cut off (they are 5" high and 6" wide[at the base]) and look like a tapered extension of what is in the pix. By welding these to a new shoe, someone could make a pair. They available (from me), probably for the cost of shipping. If anyone is interested, contact me by private mail. Regards to all, Ford

I made a set of those 30 years ago. I made mine from 4" x 1½ x 1/8" angle iron I still have them. Cut to length, cut the notches out on ends, bend shoe ends up Drill holes for slots, file sides of slots. This can all be done with a jig saw/band saw and a drill/drill press.

I had the same problem w/ the factory shoes here since the ground rarely freezes. I tried push mower wheels bolted to the sides where the skids go but didn't like them. With the blower ahead of the steering tires they seemed to dig into the gravel also and clog up. So I would think the larger skids would be the trick.

My dad just added heavier plate bottoms on the skids. The orginal bottoms wore out on the gravel driveway. He replace had welded on about 1/4 inch plate on the bottom. No more skid problems.

Someone added wheels to their snowblower with great sucess. I was doubtful that they would work and was wrong again when they did

I have wheels on my blower too and they seem to do fine in the frozen gravel. Its even better on the cement. Previous owner mounted them in the 70s and so far so good-

That is one area where Bolens (when they were mfg'd by FMC) almost overengineered. Check out the skids on this Bolens blower. They also had stainless bolts & nuts on the blower.

Joe, is that a Gilson built blower? Looks a lot like one I have that I intend on giving to the guy I gave my 16hp Wards Gilson too for keepping an eye on my place when I'm gone working. How good does it work? Doesn't look very used.

quote:
Originally posted by MPH
Joe, is that a Gilson built blower? Looks a lot like one I have that I intend on giving to the guy I gave my 16hp Wards Gilson too for keepping an eye on my place when I'm gone working. How good does it work? Doesn't look very used.
It is a Gilson blower. It got some new paint this past summer as did some of the tractor. It worked great up until yesterday when I killed the tractor. Only thing I did like was the reach to get the directional rod handle. Cant wait to get the T8 blower going next year-

• 3 weeks later...
My shoes wore out early last year and also noticed the sides of the housing was cracked on both sides.So I went with wheels,1/2" threaded rod through the brace on the back and the right size of worn wheels to keep it out of the gravel.No problems.