Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

2012 Headlights

MadMike

I know a while back someone posted about a set of lights they picked up at AutoZone that will fit behind the upper grill on a 2012 or similar tractor. Well I went to Autozone and picked up a set, they are $20.00. The ligths are 55 watt halogen and come with a fused wiring harness and switch. I needed to buy a different switch to fit the 1/2" knockout on my dash. Today was the first major snowstorm we have had here in Michigan and I was out Blowing snow at 5:30 am. These lights are awesome, even thru the upper grill they will throw light out a good 200 feet, good enough light that you can actually see details at that distance. Whoever posted about these Autozone lights, Thank-you very much. If anyone would like to see a picture of them, let me know and I'll take some this weekend. Mike

Thanks, Again, this wasn't my original idea, I just wish I could find who posted this idea first. And your right, you can't even come close to overrunning your headlights. I am amazed how far these throw the light. My neighbor was watching out his window and even commented on it later in the day. Mike

Mike, I like the shield on the muffler. Is this to keep snow from freezin up the carburator? what is it and was it factory or a Mike invention? I just put a 42" on my Landlord 101 and had throttle shaft troubles first run. Jim

quote:
Originally posted by Alpha8D
Mike, I like the shield on the muffler. Is this to keep snow from freezin up the carburator? what is it and was it factory or a Mike invention? I just put a 42" on my Landlord 101 and had throttle shaft troubles first run. Jim
Yes, the heat shield is part of the Winterizer kit, which also includes a vented, winter gas cap that prevents water (melted snow) from getting in the tank.

Jim, Yes, that's my recreation (good memory Rod) of the original heat shield to keep things from freezing up. I have a drawing of it if you would like it, the layout is bigger than most home printers can handle. Send me a PM with your address and I can mail one if you want. Mike

quote:
Originally posted by MadMike
Jim, Yes, that's my recreation (good memory Rod) of the original heat shield to keep things from freezing up. I have a drawing of it if you would like it, the layout is bigger than most home printers can handle. Send me a PM with your address and I can mail one if you want. Mike
Mike, Here is the page where the lights were posted. Took me a while to find it, but I did. BTW, Nice Job. [url]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=45967[/url]

Nick, Thanks, I looked, but I guess not hard enough. Paul Goorman (Ridgerunner), thanks very much. Your idea works great. Mike

Glad the idea worked for you. Them are the identical set of lights that I used. It's been almost a year since they were installed, and I've never had a problem with them yet. I don't know how much light factory lights give off, but even through the grill these give off bright white light. -Paul

When I got my tractor it came with an almost new mower deck and a really beat up simplicity plow blade. The first thing that needed fixing was the holes that attach the hitch to the tractor. They were slopped out to about a 7/8" hole. And when the blade was at maximum lift it would rub on the chassis. so I cut off the sloppy brackets and put these on a little angeled back to stick the plow out a little farther. Now it didn't rub. And while I had the welder out I sheared up some 1/8" plate and capped the lift arm.

I capped it for looks I guess, Other than that it serves no purpose.

In this picture above you can see where the lift arm rubbed the paint off the tractor.It prevented the blade from maximum lift.

Its sopose to be one of them plows where you can angle the blade from the seat but all I got was just a blade and hitch. All the pices were long gone so now I pull this pin when I need to angle it.

The cutting edge was wore down to nothing so I made a new one out of 1/4" 316 series stainless steel. Figured it wouldn't wear down as fast. The top edge of the plow was really bent and mangled, so I straitened it out and added 3/8" rod to the top for rigidity and a softer edge. Finished it up by painting it up school bus yellow and expermented with some silver hammer-tone for the hitch. Next time I'd just spray the entire thing yellow. PS. Mike I didn't mean to Pirate your thread.:) -Paul

Paul, I see you enjoy some fringe benefits resulting from your occupation. Very nice work. Rod, Suppose that lift arm is "beefy" enough? And you thought mine was over built.