Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

snow blade question

stevei46

I finally got to use my 6216 for something this morning. i brought it home 3 weeks ago and couldn't wait for snow we got 6 inchs last night, and i plowed the driveway in about 40 min use to take me about 2 1/2 hours to shovel it by hand i noticed it is nearly impossible to steer the tractor when pushing snow the front end just slides around. the tires are getting worn would new ones help? or do i need to put weight on the front end? thanks

weight would definately help. First I would put some tires on it that had some type of resonably aggresive tread. A lot of club members have opted for the small tri-ribs tires and say they work good in snow. Remember, the more aggresive a tire you go with now for slick winter weather the more marking up the lawn you will do when mowing.

Yesterday i found a 42in. plow in the local paper,85 miles later ,its on my 725--just in time for todays mess ! I had no stearing problems with the tri-ribs on the front and it was pretty icy later in the day,i use tri ribs on my broadmoor for mowing all summer,no problems with them unless its very soft ground.

thanks for the input, who makes the tri-rib tires? mine are 12-600-6 i think. i just got back in from cleaning up along the street and its now light and i can see whats happening. the snow sticks on the front tires makeing them into a smooth donut and they just slide

I have triribs on the front and traction is not much of a problem after I get rolling. The front end loves to try to come up when I start moving, and I try to let the clutch out slow. Front weight wouldnt hurt but once she gets rolling all is good under 90% of conditions. I had a locally owned tire place order them and then install them. I like them. I also have the AGs on the rear and like them. This is the type I have. http://www.greenball.com/tires/threeribf2.htm