Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

glove vs mittens

ehertzfeld

Ok, after a few years of having cold fingers, I'm determind to find somthing better!!! Is there a pair of gloves or mittens that are warm? What are you the members using? My right hand accually hurt today when I came in. Elon

I use a pair of snowmobile mittens the thumb and first finger are free and the others are together i have had them for about 20 years from my harley days they are very warm try a motorcycle shop or snowmobile dealer

Mittens are warmer than gloves. The warmest gloves I have found are the military type. Wool glove insert inside a leather outer shell

you can buy handwarmers at sporting good stores, they are one time use packets that you can stick inside of your mittens last about 5 hours

What i'm looking for is a pair of gloves { or mittens } that stay dry,those "one time" hand warmers work great,even with wet gloves.

What Maynard said! Next best thing are the lined leather police gloves. Plenty warm enough for me and thin enough so you can still use your hands. They are a little pricey(last pair I bought was 3 years ago, about $35.00). Try a local police supply store.

Try to find a pair of glove liners made from polypropylene. The material is Uncle Sam's new material for underalls. Comes in two wieghts, arctic and a lighter one. It is a material some call 'wicking' material. I worked in the streets rehabbing sewers for several years. The liners kept my hands warm...have to wriggle the fingers from time to time, but! I don't get to play in the snow like you folks do, but work outside in cold weather again, this time running roofing crews. Try it, can be bought war surplus or from sporting goods stores

I got a pair of dear skin "thinsolate" micro fiber gloves that i love. Found them at the Big R store. Many years ago I frost bit my fingers and to this day I can not stand cold for any peirod of time and my fingers go numb.

Can't help you much here, haven't found anything to keep 'em warm. The heat pads do help a lot. Hoping to put snowgo hand warmers on the B-112 this winter.

Gloves here. But once I find a snow cab and figure out a way to heat it, I plan on plowing with my shirt off. he** I may even install some UV lamps so I can get a good tan too!

quote:
Originally posted by oldone
I you have clod fingers,I don't know what would work. maybe some of those poka dot gloves will help!
Very funny! How nice of you to point out my spelling mistakes! :D Elon

you might want to try some of these http://cgi.ebay.com/Under-Armour-Cold-Gear-Gloves_W0QQitemZ7202791615QQcategoryZ310QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

two notes I'd love to try out the new technology in gloves, but with a 24 size ring finger it is very hard to find something that fits. The "chopper glove" which Maynard recommended is standard in arsenal. second is for a auto spelling check feature to help people like me who have a hard time pronouncing words and then to try to spell. We come across as uneducated.

IF YOU CAN AFFORD THEM Olesons Grocery stores in Manistee and Traverse City Michigan have mittens. $65 Olesons raises buffalo (sp) for meat to sell and they have the hides tanned and made into hand sewn mittens. My hand were damaged in an industrial accident 25 years ago (fingers on right hand were burn't to the bone 3rd. degree by molten salt) and we love to ice fish, these mittens work for me when nothing else will. I wish I could afford to have a buffalo coat made. good Luck, John

I have a set of these http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-US-ARMY-HUNTING-EXTREME-COLD-WEATHER-MITTENS-GLOVES_W0QQitemZ6585976245QQcategoryZ36077QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem I wear them along with a wool glove insert. Keeps me warm but may be to bulk to moving levers and such on tractor. Great for footbal games and such, not sure about tractoring. I wear gloves when blowing snow. If you come acroos the military extreme cold hood I would HIGHLY reccomend it if you need it.