Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Wanted: Prophets and Wisemen

Jovee

I just today purchased what I would call the deal of the century (for me at least). Its a garage kept,running 5212.5 and I paid the large sum of $25 for it. It broke the drive belt in september in the yard an there it sits. Problem is its 300ft from the road in 6" of snow that fell thursday. Cant get the truck to it because of the snow on the hill The other problem I need help with is its a hydro (with no belt). I remember reading about the two different trans used and one that cant be pushed far ( I think). Is there a freewheel lever anywhere on these newer ones? And if there is one that cant be pushed what would I be in for? I havent yet experienced the Simp hydros if I sound like a dummy. Model # 1691473 004921

Congrats on the new tractor.

Here's the Operator's Manual: http://www.simplicitytechpubs.com/6767PRINT/PDF_files/TP_100_3431_00_LT_S.pdf

Your profile don't say but guessing you already have a tractor, hopefully with a snowlower, if it'd be in your shoes I'd blow a nice wide pathway to it. Have yet too see a small frame tractor so can't help you with any good info of pushing it. Seems like a truck should go through 6 inches of snow pretty easy.

Joe, This hydro is self contained and uses no charge pump. In this case all of the comonents are submerged in oil and when you put it in bypass all is still lubed. You can tow it for a reasonable distance without damage. I would pull it very slowly, like a slow walk. In this case a 300 foot tow should be OK. If this was in a 7000 series it would mean about 900.00 worth of parts for the motor in the hydro. Al Eden

quote:
Originally posted by gregc
Congrats on the new tractor. [img]/club2/attach/gregc/5200transcaution.jpg[/img] Here's the Operator's Manual: http://www.simplicitytechpubs.com/6767PRINT/PDF_files/TP_100_3431_00_LT_S.pdf
Thanks Greg! Thats what I was thinking the situation could be and Im glad I asked. Marty - This one will be #29. The yard is too much of a downslope into the woods with trees and other buried artifacts for the truck and the tractor sits at the edge of a drop. Lots of expensive landscaping I cant see. The other problem is getting traction to push it up the ramps. The blower idea is great and put serious thought into planning until I realized I cant get it on the truck ramps with the blower attached. Its an old Monkey tractor and a pain to take on and off. But a good idea. Its like buying a car and having to wait for it to come to the dealer. Sleepless nights to follow:p Ill get a pic as soon as its home (april):D

Thanks Al -We mustve been typing at the same time. Something else I remembered -The lady said her husband had replaced the drive belt twice in 4 yrs and wasnt doing it again. Is there anything I should look for being bent or misaligned on one of these?

nice deal hope you can get it loaded i myself dont like the locking up of the transmission.i like cluctch drives better seem lik you have more towing power.

Marty - The snowblower idea definitely went out the window a few hours ago when I killed the darn thing. That'll teach me to brag about the little wheels

Joe, sitting in 6" of snow and uphill from the truck? Get a couple of cheap plastic kids sleds, put under the wheels and slide it down to your truck. And if you get up enough speed you could probably slide it right up into the truck. Just kidding, but I have seriously used plastic sleds for moving tractors, snowmobiles, and lots of other things. They are easy to get under the drive wheels or track and makes it very easy to moves things around in the snow.

We were talking today about sleds and skiis. Unfortunately the tractor is downhill from the truck. We're probably going use a rope thru a pulley or clevis on one truck on the road and use the other truck to slowly pull the rope backing up the road. The treeline screws up a direct pull. Might even back into the yard and hook the chain to it and 4L it up to the road. It will come out