Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Snowthrower Spout

Simpleton7016

Just want to let everyone know that I finally got the snowthrower for my 7016H operational and it works great. Two additional questions though. 1) When I drop the snowthrower to the ground, should I push the lift-handle down an extra notch or two to make sure it stays tight to the driveway? Or should I allow gravity to do all the work and let it "rest " on the ground? 2) How do I tighen the spout a little. The shear vibrations are enough to make it kind of spin out of position and it was difficult to keep it aimed in the desired direction. Did I make a mistake by lubricating it? Thanks in advance, Erik

The blower should cut most stuff clean just floating. Sometimes I lift mine just a tad for better steering. If you lock it down you wil likely find a lack of frontend control. I never grease mine. Just read "think it was Maynard" said that's not a good idea, he's been using one for like 30 years. If you tighten the rope to the turning shaft real tight it helps keep it free spinning. When I do mine I loosen the two bolts that hold the shaft to the blower, slide it toward the spout, tighten the rope as tight as I can on the clamp on the spout, then pull the shaft away from the spout and tighten the bolts. Works for me

Erik, what is your drive that you are clearing. On my Blacktop I adjust the lift to put decent downpressure on the blower by adjusting the collars and spring on the lift rod. Back home my dad's drive is gravel and does not want the blower digging into the gravel so the down pressure is not as needed.

Erik, I have a 7116 with blower. I had the same problem with the chute wanting to turn on its own whil blowing. I tightened the nut on the support that the adjuster handle rests in. I found that you can tighten it to the point where you can't even turn the adjuster by hand. Back it off a little to give some resistance and that will keep the spout from rotating on its own. Stan

I had same problem, (chute with a mind of it's own) on a walk behind blower. I cut an oak 2 x 2 x12 long. Drilled cross hole same size as control rod then sawed lengthwise through the hole. Then drilled 2 cross holes and put a squeeze on the rod with 1/4" carraige bolts and wing nut to adjust squeeze. I then oiled it and adjusted so rod turned OK but didn't turn on it's own. Worked good but looked crude. So I painted it, still looks dumb but still works.