Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

adapting a cab to my B110

McGill

I found a cab from a newer simplicity. ( Running board type I suspect) Has anyone converted such an animal to fit an older B series?

I used one off a 7000 series Simplicity on my HB-216. It was readily done, without permanent mods to the cab or tractor. 1) Take off the bottom "L" shaped bracket from each of the running board mounts on the cab uprights and swap it to the other side. Then, I used a short piece of angle iron to bolt onto the stirrup holes on the tractor and bolted these uprights to it. 2) I bolted a piece of cloth covered wood to the flat bracket on the cab that normally bolts to the dashboard. This cloth-covered piece of wood rode on the hood of the tractor. I intentionally did it this way so that I wasn't permanently modifying anything -- I've since sold the cab, and it's being used on a RBT like it was intended for.

anything is possible, this is a Sears suburban cab on my 64 Landlord. It's not perfect but it does the job. [img]/club2/attach/ehertzfeld/img0002.jpg[/img] Just put the frame together and hold it over the tractor, and see what will work, or not work. then make the brackets that will make it work. If you need me to take some pictures of how I made mine fit, let me know. Elon

I bougth my cad new in the box for $50. It was made for a toro/bolens and had a price tag on it of $1295.00 it is an excellent steel cab, very well build. i did what Elon said put it together and hung it over my 7016. I then built a frame that bolts under my tractor with 4 bolts. The frame has running board extensions and the filler pieces needed to seal the gaps. It took a weekend to do the first time but now I can take the cab off or put it on in a couple of hours. good luck John

Elon, What happened to the walk-behind cab that you adapted? I was thinking of trying that, to at least keep the snow out of my face.

quote:
Originally posted by HubbardRA
Elon, What happened to the walk-behind cab that you adapted? I was thinking of trying that, to at least keep the snow out of my face.
I still have that one. Unfortunetly it's best on a Broadmoor. Seeing how the back is open, and you just slide in by swinging your leg over the seat. Not an easy task on a large frame tractor![:0] However, I'm in the planning stages of creating an special mounting sytem to fit on one of my 725. I thinking of ways to make the whole cab, tilt forward to get in, and pull back, and lock into place, once in side. Like I said, "it's in the planning stages":D:D Elon

Looked at those sorry excuss for cabs the Sears has on the showroom floor. Thiere also open in the back. Tried as I may, I just couldn't see 269bucks there to try too make something real outa. Soo I'm still a snowman when done.

cab? I donno, I guess the snow is different out here in the mid-west. We only had 105 inches of snow last year, and 70 mph winds, some 10-20 below zero days. We still use a tossel cap and coat outside. Oh, gloves too. Guess it's worse in Buffalo. This may seem weird but... we don't use a cab on our motorcycles in the summertime either.;) UPDATE CAUTION:!!! Just read in the Toledo Times- "RAWSON OHIO FARMER FARTS-BLOWS HIMSELF UP" no name pending notification of next of kin. Ouch!! Apparently he was smoking in his tractor snow cab, and blew himself to Kansas, with Dorothy and the wizard of OZ.

Elon, I was asking about the open back cab because I have seen them as low as $50 a couple of times. Three sides have to be better than none. Some clear vinyl, my Sews-Awl, and some velcro could solve the missing side problem. As you said, I would just have to figure out how to enter and exit that cab on a large frame tractor. I have no small frame machines. Guess one of the sides would have to be made into a door.

quote:
Originally posted by MPH
Looked at those sorry excuss for cabs the Sears has on the showroom floor. Thiere also open in the back. Tried as I may, I just couldn't see 269bucks there to try too make something real outa. Soo I'm still a snowman when done.
Marty, I'm not sure about the exact pricing, but you can buy those direct from Original Cab Co. In one place they show the price at $175 and at another they show it at $200 with free shipping... http://www.originalcab.com/hotdeals/index.htm http://www.originalcab.com/hotdeals/products_windbreaker.htm Either way might beat that Sears price, if you're really interested.

quote:
Originally posted by HubbardRA
Elon, I was asking about the open back cab because I have seen them as low as $50 a couple of times. Three sides have to be better than none. Some clear vinyl, my Sews-Awl, and some velcro could solve the missing side problem. As you said, I would just have to figure out how to enter and exit that cab on a large frame tractor. I have no small frame machines. Guess one of the sides would have to be made into a door.
Rod, Two hinges and some 1/2" electrical conduit and you could have a back door

well some good news... It wasn't Mike, Ken, or Jon, they don't smoke. Also, another small caution, I understand those cabs are so comfortable inside, some people have fallen asleep in them, and awoke two states over.

Thanks Kent but I figure for that money I can buy a sewing machine and have another tool left over when the jobs done. I have plenty of rip-stop nylon in a yellow poncho I made years ago when I sewed my camping gear from frost line kits and the local hardware store has vinal plastic wintow material.

Marty, Northern Tool has a three sided walk behind cab for $72.99. http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=6970&productId=30478&R=30478 I've been thinking of using something like this for the front and the doors, and then making a rear section that would attach with velcro.