Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Front chains ?

FastPaul

Thought I'd try chains on the front, I'm not steering as well as I think I should. I know the'll work good on a soft surface but I not sure about the hot top.Has anyone had the same problem? Any suggestions?

I would think that it would work for a bit, Being they have small holes, I am willing to bet that they would fill up with snow quick. Also you would have to let out all the air in the tire to get them on tight, then fill the tire with air. I'm wondering if that would make it harder to steer, or just slip off. Elon

Creative idea, hope it snows on you tonight so you can test them. Thouht about studing a pair of my tri-ribs down the center but figure I'd have too do it from the inside like I use to car tires for ice racing. Haven't gotten bored enough to pull a pair off too play witht that idea yet.

quote:
Originally posted by ehertzfeld
I would think that it would work for a bit, Being they have small holes, I am willing to bet that they would fill up with snow quick. Also you would have to let out all the air in the tire to get them on tight, then fill the tire with air. I'm wondering if that would make it harder to steer, or just slip off. Elon
I let the tire down put the chain on and reinflated there definitly not goin to slip off there very tight

I think its going to work. The hole size don't matter,it will bite in when its turned. Thats all it has to do. I may need to do this too. Let us know. Thanks

The holes filling up don't matter. It is the sides of the chain that produce the turning force. He has created a single rib on the tire. If the chain stays on, it should work great. Just like the tri-rib tires that many of us use. I have both flotation tires like Paul has, and tri-ribs. Night and day difference in snow, mud, soft soil. The tri-ribs bite when the flotation tires will slide.

Very creative, how do you think of all of this stuff??? I always have a hard time solving even simple problems. Keep the pictures coming. Benjamin

Another alternative for steering in snow is to put lug tires on the front, pointing in the opposite direction from those on the rear, like this: [img]http://www.simpletractors.com/images/johnny_box/bucket_down_small.jpg[/img]

here is a set of chains on eBay. I have been thinking of buying a set myself. http://cgi.ebay.com/16-X-6-50-X-8-GARDEN-TRACTOR-SNOWBLOWER-TIRE-CHAINS_W0QQitemZ7731791410QQcategoryZ82248QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Another alterantive could be front wheel weights. Some tractors wheels have holes for them to bolt on, not sure if a B-112 would or not. I think the B200's and up all had the front wheels with holes for weights.