Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Engine swap in 3410S

HTews

I'm looking at puting a Briggs- V-twin 18 HP in a 3410S. And I was wonder if anybody has done this? If so what did you use for a coupler between the engine and the fiber disk on the drive shaft. Iunderstand that I am going to have to space the engine to the same height as the drive shaft. Any input would be great. I will post pictures as I go. HT

Howard, I think the hole pattern in the flywheel is the same as the holes in the flex disk. I have made several swaps, and when I don't have a cast spacer that is the correct length, I either make spacers from tubing, or in one instance I just used two stacks of washers. Both the one with the washers and one with tubing have been working fine for years. I think the stack of washers is about 1 1/2 inches, and the one with the tubing is over 2 inches in length. No problems so far. I once had a Cub cadet engine on one of my tractors. On that one, I made a plate with both the Cadet flywheel bolt pattern and the Simplicity pattern of holes drilled in it. I put two long bolts through the two holes that matched the Simplicity flex plate, then bolted the plate to the flywheel with a couple spacers to allow clearance for the heads of the long bolts. I then put spacers on those long bolts and mated it to the driveshaft flexplate. I could use an open end wrench to hold the head of the bolt and I installed locknuts on the bolt at the flexplate. All 3 of my currently operable tractors have some type of homemade spacer on them to make the driveshaft hook up right. None of them have the original factory engine in them. The only one that has a cast spacer bolted to the flywheel is my 713S which has an engine from a Homelite T13 in it. I got a driveshaft from another member for that one, and still had to put about a half inch of spacers in that one.

I repowered a 3410 with a newer Briggs 11HP single.I used some short spacers I got from where I worked at the time,but short pieces of pipe would work OK to raise the engine to the proper height.Everything else was pretty much a bolt up.