Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Powermax with 50inch tiller

lboy1971

I just picked up a 9020 powermax with deck and tiller this week. I've had powermaxes before but never had a tiller for one. How well do they work? The previous owner said he put new bearings,seals and gears in the tiller gearbox then didn't use it much after that. I've used Landlord tillers and they work good, better in lose soil than sod.Guess that's why they make moldboard plows. If anyone has any pictures of their Powermax and tiller working I'd love to see them.

These tillers work great. Make sure you use low gear to control ground speed. They will push the tractor if you are into hard ground or sod. You might want to check the slip clutch adjustment if you have a lot of rocks.

My Lad And I make a few bucks in the spring, Tilling gardens with the same set-up. (Is it a 48"?) I love doing existing gardens because, with a couple passes, Its cut down to 8" of fluffy dirt. A lot of people want new gardens so I try to talk them into hitting the area with Round-up a couple weeks before I show up. It takes a few or four passes but they usually turn out ok. Like Jim said above, Rocks are a pain so make sure that clutch is adjusted properly. Also, I always shut it down as I,m raising it so the PTO U-joints dont take a beating while I,m re-positioning. I also hit the electric clutch only after I idle it down. (A thirty year old tractor needs all the TLC you can dish out) Grease it regularly and dont beat it up in rocks and hard dry ground and it will last a long time. (Bet you cant wait till spring,huh?) Good Luck, Ken