Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Something smelled HOT. Mystery.

Alpha8D

:I Last night I had my first opportunity to try my "new to me" 42" blower with jury rigged belt set up. So I was alert for trouble. Sure enough after unplugging chute and restarting tractor in the dark I smelled burning belts or clutch or something. You know the smell, like hot synthetic material of some sort. The belt was cool and the Landlord has no clutch so I kept going. Smell went away and after say 15 minutes I had another plug up. After once again unplugging and restarting engine, (had stopped it to unplug for safety) I smelled it again! I took it into the shop where I had good light and found the problem. Went back and finished blowing with no further problems. Any guesses? Tractor is 10hp Landlord 101. Blower is 42" with front belt to front pulley on the engine. Tire chains and one 80lb wiight hanging on the hitch. Snow 7" deep and wet. I'll post the answer to the puzzler this afternoon. :I^

One problem is the 42" blower on the 10 Hp tractor and 7" wet snow. 10hp should handle a 36" blower no problem. A 42" blower can realy work a 12hp especialy in wet heavy snow. I would say the belt was a little loose and wet snow on belt was causing it to slip untill the belt dryed out.

Answer to the puzzler: I guess it's time to fess up. After returning to the lighted garage to trouble shoot the hot smell I found a gooey smoking sizzling glob on the muffler and a neat 4.25" dia hole in my nylon jacket. Seems each time I stopped to unplug the chute I leaned on the muffler! Thank you to all who took a shot at the problem. Now I know what to look for to improve the belt set up. And it does need improvement. It tore up the belt by the end of the night. I'll be downsizing both pulleys and improving the belt guides. I guess I really should also rebuild the spare 12hp and swap motors. Thanks again, Jim

One easy thing to check for tearing up belts is make sure your engine pulley is located right so the belt is running straight down to the idlers. Also the position of the guard on the snowblower pulley. It can be rotated and if you don't engage the clutch so the belt is tight it's easy to have it rubbing on the back of the belt. If it's a little rough on the edges, not good. Also the alinement of the two idlers. When I first had the 36 inch, the pegs they mount on been rewelded many time over and I had no clue what angle they were suppose to be at. Took a fair amount of messing with to get the belt to run through them straight enough not to jump off the side or be rubbing on the gaurd on them. Did all last winter with the OEM belt thats on there now after the first one I snapped when a rock stopped the blower too quick.

MPH, I've got the whole thing pretty well loused up at this point. The idler/belt tightener assembly that mounts to my front axle is correct for a 1965 Landlord with 36" blower, 5" blower pulley and 4" motor pulley. My blower is a 42" with 7" blower pulley. My motor pulley is 5.5". My speed is OK but the belt approaches and leaves these larger pulleys a little differently than what the idler/belt tightener assembly is made to handle. I'm also missing any kind of belt retainer around the motor pulley so there's nothing to keep the disengaged belt in place. The idler assembly sides have what appears to be spring loaded clips to hold a sheetmetal cover on. That's missing too. My next move is to put the original 4" motor pulley back on and get a 5" pulley for the blower. Then I can start to align things better.

Ordered a new/used pulley from SLI for my 42 inch when I got the bearings and also got the guides for the motor plley. If I recall right, Brenda said they have more of those. Using a homemade set on my 36inch, haven't yet compared to the real deal how close I came in making them.

The dealer told me that you definately need the 2 "fingers" on the side of the engine pulley.Those are belt guides,and keep the belt in place when disengaged. I run my 36" blower with no cover over the belt or pulleys,with no problems.

I once left the whole side of a nylon jacket on a set of red-hot motorcycle engine headers at a tractor pull. Some people got angry at me cause I wouldn't let their kids near that tractor when I parked it after a pull. Wonder why?