Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

More clues on the early AC paint colors

Kent

SUPPLEMENTAL PARTS LIST FOR OUTDOOR POWER EQUIPMENT DEALERS, OPE 40-5, June 1966 921285 Yellow Paint, Quart, For B-1 Tractor 921286 Yellow Paint, Gallon, For B-1 Tractor 921289 Yellow Paint, Spray Can, For B-1 Tractor 922983 Yellow Paint, Quart, For B-10, Big Ten 922984 Yellow Paint, Gallon, For B-10, Big Ten 922982 Yellow Paint, Spray Can, For B-10, Big Ten 921545, Cream Paint, Quart, For B-10, Big Ten 921097, Cream Paint, Spray Can, For B-10, Big Ten

As I dig deeper into the dealer sales info that Del Allen found, I've stumbled across two clues to early AC paint: 1) They show a different set of part numbers for the yellow paint on B-1s from the yellow paint on B-10s and Big Tens. This leads me to believe the B-1 was a totally different shade of yellow... This page of information didn't list later B-models, so I couldn't tell if the color changed again... 2) The "sales training information" for the late (i.e. Bumblebee) B-10s and B-12s talk about the "new" all-black paint on the running gear. This may be a clue on when the color of the running gear changed. I know my Big Ten has a yellow tranny/rear end and a yellow engine block -- but the sheetmetal on the head is black.... I think this is original, but I'm not sure. Again, this raises more questions: 1) Is this yellow block, with black sheetmetal on the engine the stock color scheme for a Big Ten? Was all the sheetmetal black? 2) Was the sheetmetal on the head of early B-10's and B-1's yellow or black? From just looking at the pictures in the brochures, it looks like the entire engine, including sheetmetal (but not the starter-generator) was yellow... 3) What is the true difference in the shades of yellow between the B-1 and the B-10's, Big Tens and B-12's? 4) Is this B-10/B-12 color different than the B-110s and later? By the way, there's another piece of information in this package that says the B-110s (at least) were made by Simplicity, and not by the AC Lexington plant, as I'd thought. It confirmed that the B-207 WAS made in Lexington... I'll keep digging through this info, and let you know any interesting tidbits I find.

I have always wondered why they painted the garden tractors yellow instead of orange. IH did the same thing with the Cub Cadet as did MF with the excecutive series. Anybody know why?

My B-1 is all original. It is all yellow (including the engine sheetmetal and head) except the wheels which are an off-white. The bevel gearbox and transaxle are also yellow. Roy

Hey I have a great idea, if anyone is interested, we could all decide on a hardware store, chip off a piece of paint in an unseen area, take it to that hardware store, they give the paint information, and then we post the results, people could take in paint chips from all the B-series mowers, that would make the paint easier to match up, also I know it sounds dumb, but has anyone E-mailed simplicity about the paint changes and schemes, they should have it on file yet, good luck, BradW

My B-12 and B-10 have a gold tint to the paint that makes them a different shade than the B-112 which is more yellow. In the days of leaded paint the Rustolem "International Yellow" was a perfect match for the B-12. A New York taxi looks about the right color for the B-12, wonder where they get their paint.

I have been trying for a long time to find the correct AC yellow and have corrsonpened with Kent several times about this. I have 5 different batchs of paint mixed and none of them seem correct to me. I have corrsponded with David Sigmund about the paint formula posted at SIMPLETRACTORS. I currently have a spray can of AC yellow that was on a dealers shelf (thats why I wanted the numbers from KENT) and contacted DUPONT and KRYLON and PPG. I also found a ad in HEMMINGS magazine and contacted TOWER PAINT about AC yellow. There is also as much confusion about AC orange in the big tractor arena. I will see if my spray can part number matches any of KENTS.