Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Forgive Me

Forgive me guys but I just bought an old Sears tractor (Model #917.25751 with an Onan 16 hp engine) to compliment the Kwik-Way loader that was mentioned earlier. I gave up on the notion of using it on my Pmax. Since this is my second only tractor, it should be interesting finding out the differences.

I wouldn't say anything about your Sears tractor, since I have a Sears Suburban tractor sitting in my back yard also. Had it before I got any of my Simps or ACs. It isn't running any more since the Techumseh ignition quit working.

goatfarmer - Thanks for the Sears website mention. Looks like it will come in handy. I picked up the tractor today and I'm impressed so far with the build quality. The frame gauge thickness looks to be similar to what's on my Pmax. Looks sort of odd proportioned with the big Onan engine (same physical size as on my Pmax). It should be interesting playing with it.

I have the SS16 (0nan twin) with the fel on it. It is a nice back saver and comes in real handy. I've cleared the first of the big (fluffy 12 inches) storms with it easily. I drop the bucket put her in third high and push the length of my driveway across the street. I have two sets of wheel weights on the rears and about 75lbs of lead hanging off the rear 3pt hitch. I run wide bar lugs. You'll like it. Be careful not to put too much traction onto the ground under big load or you will blow gears in the rear end.

quote:
Originally posted by EricD
I have the SS16 (0nan twin) with the fel on it. It is a nice back saver and comes in real handy. I've cleared the first of the big (fluffy 12 inches) storms with it easily. I drop the bucket put her in third high and push the length of my driveway across the street. I have two sets of wheel weights on the rears and about 75lbs of lead hanging off the rear 3pt hitch. I run wide bar lugs. You'll like it. Be careful not to put too much traction onto the ground under big load or you will blow gears in the rear end.
Do you have dual rear wheels along with the weights?

No complaints here. I have an older GT18 (Onan 18Hp twin) that is almost my favorite tractor for all around chores. In my opinion a tractor with the Sears name on it is really a decent machine as compared to the one with the Craftsman name.

Good tip on the Sears/Craftsman Tom. I'll have to remember that. There's an Sears kicking around Tok here yet I think. About a mid 60's I believe. Missed a chance to buy it once, before I had any tractors.

I agree with Tom. The Roper built "Sears" tractors are far better quality than the AYP built Craftsmans. I have 3 Suburbans (the 4th is still in Rods backyard - hint hint..) and a few Craftsmans and the difference is night and day. The older the Sears the better. I wonder if Roper would still be making them today if the factory didnt burn down in the 70s

Humm, Gotta throw this in here. Any of the sears owners interested in a 3pt hitch set? I have one down in the shop. can post pics later if interested. A fella a couple towns over has a 16hp sears with the loader on it. Nice stought tractor said it had plenty of power. A friend of mine has a sears custom 10 he's looking to sell. early 70's with mower deck and rear grader blade, also has 3pt. It does need some work seems the ignition switch might be shot. starts and runs, as soon as you hook up a battery to it. Does this without turning the key. also has wheel weights. James K.

quote:
Originally posted by HubbardRA
Joe, I'll make you a deal on that Sears. Come and get it, and it's yours. How's that?
I want to take you up on that. I dont know when I can get down that way. Your not moving back to W Va anytime soon are you?;)

Probably be here for at least two years. Youngest son is a junior in high school. Not planning to leave till after he graduates.

• 3 weeks later...
I don't have duals on the SS16. I run wide lugs. I's not as stable as dual wheels but It's far less risky breaking the rear end gears. I've snapped three transaxles innereds with dual wheels on the Suburban lines and have taken the hint. I run dual wheels on a '69 Panzer I own. I don't fear breaking that mopar rear end ever. The engine will stall if I get too much traction without movement.

Geez ... I just bought an extra set of rear wheels based on the advice of previous posts. What to do now? Eric - Do you have a Sears (Kwik-Way) loader on that SS16?