Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Leaking shift rod ?

FastPaul

What can I do to stop the shift rods on my three tractors from leaking out the ends ? I looked at the transmission breakdown Pg. 34 In my parts book, But it dose not show an oring. I have a few ideas how to fix it,But any suggestions would handy.This must be a common problem.Thanks

Drain the oil down to the correct level. Most likly it is over full. There should be 3 plugs on the transmission. 1) Drain plug - At the bottom. 2) Check plug - About half way. 3) Fill plug - At the top.

Not sure that's his problem Maynard. my 725, Landlard and B-112 all leak enough to collect dust from the top down. I know the 725 and Landlord aren't over filled because I gotta keep them topped off as they both need new axle seals. This winter.

Without a seal of any kind/type on the shift rod all my tractors (B-1, 700, & 725) seep/leak a little oil around the rod. But as UCD says, an overfilled transaxle will leak more. A modification to install an oil seal or o-ring on each end of the shaft should work but is a lot of work for such small leaks.