Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Big-Ten carb ?'s

BrendonV

Couple of questions here: Anyone have a pic of this carb on my Big-Tenfor comparison? 1-Is this the correct carb for a Big-Ten? 2-What size threaded rod do i need to connect the air cleaner? 3-What size bolts hold the intake pipe to the head? 4-There is a hole in the back of the air intake tube( on the carb) and there is no rubber boot like my others that attach back to the engine, is there supposed to be one? Thanks!

Is your Big 10 a 9 hp ar 10hp? If it's the 10hp that's the right carb, 4 bolt. If it's the 9hp with a model 23D it should have a 3 bolt carb. Think the air cleaner bolt is 1/4 inch. Would have to take a bolt outta one to tell you what size hold the intake on.

On my 16hp there is a crankcase breather hose runs from there to the valve tappet cover. On the 23 D there is a crankcase breather under the S/G looks like this.

I don't know when Briggs went from this crankcase breather system to the hose to the aircleaner tube. Thought it was when the went to 4 bolt carb but maybe not on the first one's. Look under you S/G, if you have a breather like the one shown, I'd say just plug the hole as you must have a newer style air cleaner tube.

ah ha, i dont know how i overlooked it. Just went out and saw half the hose going through the panel broken off in the middle. Are these hoses availble/from where?

On my B-1 (Briggs Model 19) the stud that holds the air filter on is 1/4-28 on the carburetor end and 1/4-20 on the top end (for the wing nut to hold the filter on). Unless the carb body is threaded you may be missing the metal strap that goes on the bottom of the carb. Don't know if the 4-bolt carbs for the larger engines have the metal strap or not.