Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Pre heatting metal parts

MPH

Today I decided to put the snowblower shell in front of the Toyo heater and turned it up to about 85 for half an hour. I seem to have less problems with running when I preheat the metal above room temp. Is this a good plan as far as paint durablity goes? Using squirt can paint.

I have seen instructions where it says to heat the parts and or the paint. Old time bodymen/painters had paint pots that they heated the paint in but this can be dangerous. Something like boiling gasoline on the stove. I have placed the rattle cans in hot water for 15 - 20 min with good results.

heating the spray can in hot tap water makes it flow alot better, i'm not sure if heating the metal will have any affect on the durabillity, an old timer told me he knew a guy that always heated his spray bombs up on a hot plate, one day his wife called him to lunch and when the can exploded it blew with enough force that it took out the garage doors and lifted the house off the foundation, i'm not sure if its true or not but i would stay away from doing that

I might believe it blew out the garage door. Back when my boys were young we'd always end chicken butching days by putting a 4 foot long 3 inch dia pipe in the coals. Then we'd drop old paint cans, WD 40 can, whatever I had saved up, down the pipe and launch them. With the pipe angle about 20-30 degrees a good can would fly 300-400 feet through the air. My thinking was, country boys gonna blow stuff up, dad may as well teach 'em do it safely and do it with them.:)

Marty I've been painting my homelite this week .I've been preheating mt peices in front of my heater also ,I have'nt heated the cans,They stay gararge temp. around 65% Heating the metal seems to work much better you can really lay it on heavy without running

That's what I've noticed Paul. When I did my B-112 I ran the parts up and down outta the basement where the wood stove is. Didn't have a shop at all yet and it was in March. Paint has held up on it pretty good. Have some gasoline damage and of course some hard use marks but no peeling.

From the perspective of someone who develops Aerosol products, heating any aerosol to above 120-125 is un-wise. 130 is the temperature for which most are rated. With that said, the best method would be a pan of warm water. Pressure volume and temperature being related like they are, it is really best to have the cans above 60, just tio get better spry force and breakup. This is more noticeable the thicker the product in question is. As far as the parts being warm, I would tend to believe that warmer parts (within reason) would be better, as the paint would flow and level better. But just an opinion.

I believe it bonds better w/ the warm metal but have no data to prove it. I do always heat my metal and paint if it's any cooler tha 60-65 degrees out. I'm certain this helps it cure out faster going on warm metal.

I keep my paint in a three shelf cabinet with a door, in winter I put a lit light bulb on the bottom shelf. the paint stays warm ready to use. Pete