Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Snow cab values

Simpleton7016

I just located a Simplicity snow cab on e-bay. #7732684064 Needs some work, but I know not how serious the problems are. I have no idea if this will fit my 7016H, but it sure looks like it will. Anyone know? Next, what is a fair price for such a cab? I was considering an aftermarket cab like the one someone posted here a week or two ago. What are the pro's and cons? Meaning, I assume the Simplicity will fit better, but will a 30-year old cab necessarily have some deficiencies due to improvements in technology? I am not a Simplicity purist either (though I do love my tractor). For me, I want something functional and as leak-proof as possible....and I don't want to get in to a bidding war with someone who wants this EXACT cab. Also, I have only been looking for a few weeks, but are these types of cabs rare? Do you gobble it up now or hang tight for a while? Also, what goes wrong with these? What should I be asking as a prospective buyer? So I guess I don't have a specific question....I just want to get educated before I make a stupid decision. I would like a cab, but don't really need one 'cuz it's not like I live in Buffalo or upper Minnesota. We don't get THAT much snow here that I can convince my wife that this is a worthwhile purchase. But if the price is right, I will need to make a relative value judgement, but would like your opinions. What's it worth realistically? Ball park figures? Thanks in advance, Erik

http://www.jimsrepairjimstractors.com/tractor-cab.htm? here is the link to the aftermarket one I was kicking around....

Yes it will fit your tractor. The cabs today are basicly the same as this one. Most parts are sill available from original tractor cab co. It looks to be in fairly good shape. I have seen them go for $75.00 to $300.00 depending on condition and have seen a B series cab bring $500.00 new in the box.

Follow up question: Do these cabs fold up nicely and condensed for easy storage? This is 'pick-up" only and I have a friend in that area who is coming home for Christmas. I could have him pick it up, but he and his wife have only a mid-sized car and will probably have a trunk full of present with them. How small with this unit fold up into? Will it fit in a back seat perhaps?

It does not fold. The top comes off and un bolt the supports. When taken apart the largest piece is the top. Yes it will fit in the back seat when disasembled.

I value my cab tremendously!!! lol If you plan to use a blower, get it! I wouldn't blow snow without one now. Just about any cab came be made to fit any tractor, with a little fabrication. Elon

Thought i had one bought earlier this fall for the asking price, deal fell through.....that was the first of two deals that went south this fall.....:(

quote:
Originally posted by elhekkers
But if the price is right, I will need to make a relative value judgement, but would like your opinions. What's it worth realistically? Ball park figures? Thanks in advance, Erik
The value of a cab, is directly proportional to the velocity of the wind, at the point where the operator sits.;);) I know...S/A answer..... Seriously though, I would not want to be with out a cab again, ever. But I'm getting soft in my old age.:):D

The value of a cab, is directly proportional to the velocity of the wind, at the point where the operator sits. Amen to that! :) :) Now I see there is another one on e-bay so I guess I answered one of my own questions. These things do pop up once in awhile. I guess I will kind of wait and see...what's one more winter afterall! Hey, as long as I am thinking of things to make my experience more "cozy"....do they make a heater for these cabs?

This new listing is just up the road from me. If you need it picked up and stored for awhile. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7732802335&fromMakeTrack=true It could probably be shipped but some of the metal framing is kinda weird shaped. Would be goofy shaped parcels.

Ah...thanks for the tip. It looks nice but that would be a 6 hour trip for me....even if you did store it. Anyone have an estimate how much shipping would be? I haven't got a clue, but if it is reasonable, perhaps I could pay you for your time to ship it since the seller says "pick-up only"....but not if it will cost $200 to ship! :)

Thank a million for the offer John....let me just play the waiting game on this and see...looks like I may be closing some negotiations with the other cab. I have a friend who lives just a few miles away from him and my friend said he will transport it home for X-mas if I get it. So that looks to be "the one"....though I am concerned that it does not to be in as good of shape as the one near you. :) Your offer is entirely too kind as has been everyone on this site with regard to advice, offers of help, etc. etc. The rest of the world should take lessons....we'd all be better off. I just hope I can return a fraction of the assistance I have received in barely a month since I joined this group. Class act fellas, class act!