Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

6211 Speed Control

firefoxz1

I have a 6211 which has the variable speed. The problem is the peddle comes all the way up going down hill and it goes full speed but go up the hill, or under rear wheel load, and the peddle moves itself halfway down or so and the tractor slows. Is this a common thing or do not have something adjusted right? I added a spring underneath to help pull the peddle to full speed which only helped a little. My next step is to try and lessen the spring pull on the rear belt idler (it is a heavy spring).

Tom i have a 6216, same tractor just bigger engine and wheels i think you must have something adjusted wrong here is a link to the owners manual http://www.simplicitytechpubs.com/6767PRINT/PDF_files/TP_100_3001_00_XX_S.pdf it has detailed adjustment instructions for the variator and brakes

Steve thanks. I actually have a repair manual and a 6216 to compare to also(tractor is the same just bigger engine). I have the linkage adjusted as per the book but I don't understand why the pulley moves to the slow side when under load. This troubleshooting symptom is not in there. I was hoping for someone that has knowledge of this problem.

Firefoxz1, The variable speed is designed to slow the tractor when under load. It's explained in a manual I have. the name of the .pdf is TP_500_974_00_LT_S.pdf If you can find it on Simplicity's site it will explain the variator system towards the end of the manual. I forgot my serial number for my 6216 or I'd help you with a direct link.

Rahbas, Thank You. Neither the repair manual nor the OMs I've seen stated this fact. This is what I was looking for. Thanks Maynard for posting the link to the manual. I quess there is nothing wrong with the tractor after all.