Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

CCKA/CCKB THOUGHTS

john

RECENTLY I ACQUIRED A SIMP 4040H AND AM QUITE HAPPY DESPITE ALL THE PROBLEM TALK. I DID DISCOVER A FUEL PUMP LEAK AND THE TIGHTENING WIHT A SCREW DRIVER WORKED FOR A WHILE. MY MECHANIC SON LOOKED AT IT AND SAID IT LOOKS LIKE THE OLD, FORD ACCELERATOR PUMP, IS THAT POSSIBLE ??? IN THE MEAN TIME I FOUND AN ONAN DEALER AND HE HAD THE FUEL PUMP REBUILD KIT IN THREE DAYS AND SAID PARTS FOR THESE ENGINES WERE NO PROBLEM. WHEN I PICKED UP THE REBUILD KIT I ASKED FOR AN OIL FILTER AND THEY HAD IT IN STOCK. $9 I THOUGHT WAS A LITTLE STEEP, SO WILL LOOK FOR AN AFTERMARKET MODEL NOW THAT I KNOW WHAT IT WAS. BUT THE DEALER DOES DO MAIL ORDER STUFF SO SOME OF YOU MAY WANT TO CONTACT HIM FOR PARTS ( NO PROMISES ON MY PART ) JUST HIS ASSURANCES THEY WERE AVAILABLE AND WERE USED ON A LOT OF GENERATORS THAT ONAN BUILDS. THE DEALER IS POWER HOUDE MARINE, ( HANS TANKE ) 608 - 784 - 9580 , 518 LOGAN ST. LA CROSSE, WI 54603 -- GOOD LUCK GUYS

Right, John, the parts are still available from Onan, but that $9 filter translates into a $2000 short block. That's what everyone's concerned about.
And there is one other factor in this that no one has brought up yet, and I have been remiss in mentioning. That is that even if it proves practical to replace the CCKs with something else, whatever is now available will not have the kind of "grunt", the torque curve, of a CCK.
Even a Kohler Command 25, with more HP, will not 'pull' the same. The only engines I can think of which might fit and have similar 'pull' would be the old iron Kohler twins, like a K-582. These are 'going out' too, and are not a realistic solution.
We're still working on it.
Fred

THANKS FRED , LETS KEEP TRYING . JOHN S. p.s. NOW THAT I GOT MY SIMP 4040 I FOUND A 616 ON A DEALERS LOT WITH A CAB , MOWER , SNO BLOWER AND A SWEEPER BROOM AT A DECENT PRICE AND AM TRYING TO REPRESS THE URGE TO OWN TWO OF THESE, I MIGHT EVEN HELP SOMEBODY ACQUIRE IT FOR SOME KIND OF A DEAL UNTIL THEN THE LOCATION IS A SECRET.

• 3 weeks later...
NAPA has a motor oil filter for the CCKB engine. Their number is 1764. I don't remember what the price was on it, but I would think that it's a small price to pay when you consider what a new block or major engine work costs.

Enjoy that tractor, it's a handy machine!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
Use Fram PH 3600 for oil filter,Fram PH16 for trans,and Baldwin PA2347 for air. The Fram filters are rlatively inexpensive,the Baldwin air filter is around 15-16 dollars.As far as I know they are the only one who still makes it.